The agony of choice - page 5

sanyooooook:
the old code was compiled on the new build?
you won't believe it - it didn't compile at all :-D

Renat:
Show me the code.
Are you serious? Right here on this forum all 9,400 lines of code? ))

abolk:

Why would a non-programmer trader want to learn C++?

Why would a non-programmer trader want to program? Why would he learn any language at all? :-D

Or he may have to become a non-professional programmer. And in this case it may be useful to start with C. There are simply excellent examples of books for beginners - well, to the degree everything is chewed up and put in your mouth that is simply impossible not to understand))

AlexeyVik:

Maybe it's not the same code, just the name of the indicator strangely coincides with the names of screenshots, but here is a clear example where an array of int type is declared which is passed to a user function, and there the datetime type is accepted

Well, and a bunch of warnings about re-declaration of variables and variables not used.

Yes yes that's exactly the ZUP. Old version. Kept it because it came with a great template and prescribed settings. Who knows what ZUP is and how many settings in it will understand how important this is. And yes indeed there was (I do not know how to call it an error ...) error concerning the datetime and int data types. But it's not clear what does this new build have to do with it? As I already mentioned above there is such a notion as "backward compatibility". So, the result is obvious - this very backward compatibility is completely absent!
As I said before, I was just too lazy to dig through someone else's thousands of kilos of code and search for errors there. So I left it as it is. That is, in any way :-D Now I will try to compile on old build, following Sank's advice. If it works, I'll be very happy - I've been drawing very nice pictures :-D

mmmoguschiy:
Yes yes, that's exactly the ZUP. The old version. I kept it because it came with a great template and prescribed settings. Who knows what the ZUP and how many settings in it will understand how important this is. And yes indeed there was (I do not know how to call it an error ...) error concerning the datetime and int data types. But it's not clear what does this new build have to do with it? As I already mentioned above there is such a notion as "backward compatibility". In general, the result is obvious - this very backward compatibility is completely absent!
As I said before, I was just too lazy to dig through someone else's thousands of code and search for errors there. So I left it as it is. That is, in any way :-D Now I will try to compile on old build, following Sank's advice. If it works, I will be very pleased - it's very nice drawing :-D
I haven't counted how many lines in that code, but it took me no longer than 30 minutes to fix it. And you are not just lazy, you are just incapable. But don't suggest I do. I voiced in that thread that my generosity was already over.

mmmoguschiy:
you won't believe it - didn't compile at all :-D

someone did it for you.)

ZS: open ex4 with notepad, if you can see the variable names there it means it was compiled with an old compiler, if not, then with a new one.

Vinin:
These were developer errors. If it wasn't, it would have worked. Everything would have worked. I had to fix all my mistakes. But not with the new one, but with the old one. And all the old functions work. There were valid defaults. Now there are none. There is no control, the code doesn't work. There are controls. Everything works.
What kind of "developer bugs" could there be if the code worked fine on the old build?

mmmoguschiy:
Why would a non-programmer trader want to program? Why would he learn any language at all? :-D

Or they may have to become a non-professional, albeit non-professional, programmer. And in this case it may be useful to start with C. There are just great examples of books for beginners - well, to the degree everything is chewed up and put in your mouth that is simply impossible not to understand)).
The answer is simple enough. To check that 95% of information in trading books does not work at all.

AlexeyVik:
I didn't count how many lines are in that code, but it didn't take me more than 30 minutes to rule it. And you don't just have laziness, you just have an inability to do it. But don't suggest I do. I said in that thread that my generosity is over.
Judge not, lest ye be judged! I did not hang labels on you so kindly do not hang you too!

As continuation of conversation - somehow I have not met in my practice such a miracle that the char data type was suddenly replaced by double exactly as well as int was replaced by datetime. That's why my desire to use telepathy ended there. I didn't have the slightest desire to dig through outright nonsense.

Since it's been discussed, would you, dear fellow developers, explain why int suddenly became datetime (or vice versa - I do not remember exactly)? And why in the old build it didn't cause errors, and in the new one it suddenly appeared by some miracle (if there was an error)?

sanyooooook:

it means someone did it for you )

ZS: open ex4 with notepad, if you can see the variable names there it means it was compiled with the old compiler, if not, it means it was compiled with the new one.

yep - the compiler's got the artificial intelligence and compiled it for me :-D

But seriously - I didn't compile it! There is no .ex4 file in the experts/indicators folder of the old build. Even after just clicking on the "compile" button it didn't appear there! What's the catch? Can compiled indicator files be created somewhere else on the disk?
Reason: