Beta version of MetaTrader 4 IDE including new MQL4 compiler and editor - page 17

-Aleks-:

So this is, I would venture to guess, the task of most users, for even to develop an autotuned EA, you need to test the autotuning... Well, or you've reached beyond the level of chart visualisation in your mind.

Personally, I am only interested in MT5 with its tester capabilities, and the saddest part is that I have to pay for this capability, which is extremely frustrating.

In my opinion one of the greatest benefits of MT5 is the debugging capability.

And as for the tester, of course until debugging is available in the tester it will be a "Good toy".

Interesting:

In my opinion, one of the greatest benefits of MT5 is the debugging capability.

As for the tester, of course, until debugging is available in the tester, it will be a "Good toy".

Exactly, the tester is not a tool for a programmer to choose parameters, but a tool that allows you to estimate the correctness and accuracy of the written code, check its behavior in situations missed in TS or TOR, detect issues you have missed and decide how to handle them. For normal productive work with it, of course, it is hard without a debugger, and sometimes a Sisyphean task.

Well, I also agree that a debugger in the tester is, ah, much needed...

Now we have to use trace output, which is extremely cumbersome... But the developers seem to be aware of such a request and do not deny that a debugger will appear in the tester sometime in the future... Well... We wait...

artmedia70:
Именно, что тестер для программиста - инструмент не подбора параметров, а инструмент, позволяющий оценить верность и правильность написанного кода, проверить его поведение в ситуациях, упущенных в ТС или в ТЗ, выявить упущенные моменты и решить как их обработать. Для нормальной продуктивной работы с ним, естественно, без отладчика тяжело, и порой - сизифов труд. 

For traders, it is a tool to develop a strategy, formalise the ToR, and control the execution of the ToR by the programmer.

Selection of parameters is not a search for luck, but a search for patterns, and a reasonable one at that. My Expert Advisors like МА, and they are usually different for each instrument, different market swing, TF volatility....

What can I say, the tester saves a lot of time by testing the idea in practice, and the overshooting allows you to make sure that the idea works, or its short-term regularity is a fluke.

I tend to believe that the market is driven by people, so it makes sense to use simple tools for making a decision, but the overshoot is needed to find out how these tools are set up.

The tester provides me personally with statistics, without which it is impossible to plan and therefore develop a strategy and even more so a tactic.

Laryx:

Well, why "about nothing"?

Now I would like to know the pros of the MT4 tester...

- The MT4 tester is significantly faster than its big brother's tester without taking the cloud into account.

- It's possible to test on custom history.

C-4:

- The MT4 tester is significantly faster than its big brother's tester without the cloud.

- It is possible to test on custom history.

The first one is very controversial, if not to compare the quality of ticks modelling and the amount of information (and the presence of the cloud is more of a plus for MT5).

The second is without a doubt a huge plus, but fortunately not decisive.

Interesting:

The first one is very controversial, unless you compare the quality of tick modelling and the amount of information (and the presence of the cludes is more of a plus for MT5).

The second is undoubtedly a huge plus, but fortunately not decisive.

There is nothing controversial about "the first". - The MT4 tester without cloud is much faster than its elder sibling.

And it is given by the simulation accuracy decrease, but it is disputable that in MT5 the simulation accuracy is higher (that's exactly what is disputable),

But at the output the generation of ticks distorts the picture so much that profitable Expert Advisors are discarded, and sinkers come out ahead. (here we can argue and discuss).

As for the second one, it is a plus, but it is decisive, because it allows adding something that is not there. No quality modeling, well, gather your story and use, so just a custom story is a deciding factor. Without it, you can discard the MT4 tester, as many have long ago switched to MT5.

I would rather you tell me, what is the purpose of MT5 tester? You cannot use it for debugging. You cannot make the final check on real data. You cannot make a rough selection of a large number of parameters.

So what is there to do? What does the researcher need it for? (I'm not talking about the programmer or the trader, the tester is a research tool).

As it has one part - the cloud, except that the cloud is nothing without loading. And in fact there is nothing to load it with in this implementation of the tester.

Urain:

On the second plus is a plus, but just the decisive factor, because it allows you to add yourself what is not there. The second one is a plus, but it is a decisive factor, because it allows you to add yourself what you don't have. Without it the MT4 tester can be discarded, as many traders have long ago switched to MT5.

From trader's point of view

So the problem is not in the custom history but in the absence of a normal history on the brokerage server.

If your broker does not have a certain tool, you should look for a broker that has this tool.

From the researcher's point of view

Of course it is good to have all data in one terminal, but this is a purely theoretical approach, which only a "researcher" needs.

Yes, it's certainly a plus for MT4, but one can live without custom history (but one cannot realize large projects without a good debugging in the tester ).

Urain:

But at the output, the generation of ticks distorts the picture so much that profitable TPs are discarded and sinkers come out ahead. (this is where we can argue and debate).

Indeed, I would argue.

I would rather ask what is the purpose of MT5 tester? There is no way to debug it. You cannot do the final check on real data. You cannot make a rough selection of a large number of parameters.

And can you expand on the idea of "you can't make a selection" ? I think, in my opinion, in the strategy tester of MT5 - you can select literally anything, according to any criteria...

Interesting:

From trader's point of view

So the problem is not in the custom history, but in the absence of a normal history on the server of brokerage company/dealer.

If the broker does not have some tool, you should look for a broker that has this tool.

From the researcher's point of view

Of course it is good to have all data in one terminal, but this is a purely theoretical approach, which only a "researcher" needs.

Yes, it's certainly a plus for MT4, but one can live without custom history (but big projects cannot be implemented without normal debugging in the tester).

I'll start in reverse order, I debugged everything in MT4 tester and big projects normally before debugger ME5, so everything can be debugged without debugger (although of course more convenient, but it's not decisive, it's just the frills).

Regarding [only a "researcher needs"] people who use the tester for optimization, are divided into two categories, researchers consciously asking what and where to look for, and monkeys counting on chance and the tester will give them a winning combination.

While you get a normal story from the broker, people are getting rich downloading the story which is a lot of youtube. Hence the question: why do you want it? Are you the last man standing?

Reason: