Beta version of MetaTrader 4 IDE including new MQL4 compiler and editor

Start of topic:

Below is the beta version of the IDE, the same for MetaTrader 4/MQL4 and MetaTrader 5/MQL5. This is a preview version for public review.

What are the differences from the old version of MQL4?

• The priority of logical AND/OR operations has been changed. Now everything is as in classic C/C++.

• Introduced shortened evaluation of logical expressions. Now, when evaluating a logical expression, the remaining subexpressions are not evaluated. As in C/C++.

• The switch operator now uses only integer values. Previously, you could use real ones.

• Now, you cannot use a full stop in variable names. Also, you cannot use the '@', '$', '?' characters in variable names.

• The requirements to the start function have been tightened. Previously, you could specify parameters in the start function. Now all the entry points init, start, deinit, OnInit, OnStart, OnTick, OnTimer, etc. must exactly match their signatures

• Due to the expansion of the keyword set, we cannot use names like short, long, float, const, virtual, input, delete, new, do, char.

• Now imported dll-functions cannot take string arrays as a parameter. As in MQL5

• Now appeared the predefined variable names _Period, _Symbol, _LastError, _CriticalError, _StopFlag, _Point, _Digits, _UninitReason, _RandomSeed that can clash with simple variables declared in existing sources with the same names

• The datetime type has become 8 bytes, like in MQL5.

The differences are not fatal and may be easily fixed in the code. In exchange, we have a lot of MQL5 features available, as well as the speed of execution and much tighter quality control.

We are planning a public testing during the next month to collect as much feedback as possible and prepare developers.

Discussion on the MQL4 forum: https://www.mql5.com/ru/forum/146531

Download the zip archive from: https://c.mql5.com/mql4/forum/2013/08/MetaTrader4.Beta.IDE_1.zip

Что будет нового в MetaTrader 4 и MQL4 - большие изменения на подходе - MQL4 форум
  • www.mql5.com
Что будет нового в MetaTrader 4 и MQL4 - большие изменения на подходе - MQL4 форум

Renat:

We plan to run public testing throughout the next month to gather as much feedback as possible and prepare developers.

How do I start testing this? I placed all the folders from MetaTrader4.Beta.IDE in the MT4 folder for testing (copied with substitution) and I don't see any changes when launching the editor.

P.S. I assumed the editor would be the same as well. Was it wrong?

tol64:
How do I start testing this? Placed all folders from MetaTrader4.Beta.IDE into MT4 folder for tests (copied with replacement) and I don't see any changes when launching the editor.
there is a batchen, run it

FAQ:
there's a batchen, run it.
Oh, man. :) Win-RAR didn't unpack the whole archive, but 7-Zip unpacked all the files. It makes more sense now.

tol64:

How do I start testing this? Placed all folders from MetaTrader4.Beta.IDE into MT4 folder for tests (copied with replacement) and I don't see any changes when launching the editor.

P.S. I assumed the editor would be the same as well. Was I wrong?

No, you can't transfer the archive to the terminal. EX4 files are not compatible with old terminals.

Editor and compiler are provided for testing new features and checking their source code separately from the terminal. We will introduce the beta version of the terminal closer to mid-September.

Will there be a full translation into Russian? Right now the errors and warnings are in English.

FAQ:
Will there be a full translation into Russian? Right now the errors and warnings are in English.
Unfortunately, no. These are compiler messages and they are not translated.

Renat:

The editor and compiler are presented to test new features and check their source code separately from the terminal. We will introduce the beta version of the terminal closer to mid-September.

And what does it mean - apart from the terminal? Will the Debugger work in MQL4?

I tried to compile it - it compiles... Whose compiler is used? Does the IDE automatically find previously installed MT4 and MT5?

Renat:
Unfortunately, no. These are compiler messages and they do not translate.
OK

denkir:

What do you mean by separate from the terminal? Will the Debugger work in MQL4?

I tried to compile it, it compiles... whose compiler is used? Does the IDE automatically find previously installed MT4 and MT5?

Look at the links in the initial thread - all this has been discussed.

How about just "Welcome to the Master" then?

Reason: