Machine learning in trading: theory, models, practice and algo-trading - page 805

Oh, the disinformer downloaded a new book. We take out our notebooks, add the mentioned literature to the black list.

Dr. Trader:
Oh, the disinformer has downloaded a new book. We take out our notebooks and add the mentioned literature to the blacklist.

I have a slightly different association

Lately, we have become too trusting of the information on the Internet, and there is more and more of it....

Isn't it time to use your head?

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

For fans of crossvalidations, test samples, OOS, and other stuff, I will never tire of repeating myself:

SanSanych and Vladimir Perervenko in particular

Out-of-sample tests
This is the most popular and also abused validation method. Briefly, out-of-sample tests require setting aside a portion of the data to be used in testing the strategy after it is developed and obtaining an unbiased estimate of future performance. However, out-of-sample tests
reduce power of tests due to a smaller sample
results are biased if strategy is developed via multiple comparisons
In other words, out-of-sample tests are useful in the case of unique hypotheses only. Use of out-of-sample tests for strategies developed via data-mining shows lack of understanding of the process. In this case the test can be used to reject strategies but not to accept any. In this sense, the test is still useful but trading strategy developers know that good performance in out-of-samples for strategies developed via multiple comparisons is in most cases a random result.
A few methods have been proposed for correcting out-of-sample significance for the presence of multiple comparisons bias but in almost all real cases the result is a non significant strategy. However, as we show in Ref. 1 with two examples that correspond to two major market regimes, highly significant strategies even after corrections for bias are applied can also fail due to changing markets. Therefore, out-of-sample tests are unbiased estimates of future performance only if future returns are distributed in identical ways as past returns. In other words, non-stationarity may invalidate any results of out-of-sample testing.

Conclusion: Out-of-sample tests apply only to unique hypotheses and assume stationarity. In this case they are useful but if these conditions are not met, they can be quite misleading.

ROS can be used only for hypothesis cancellation or only for known stationary problems.

But not for search of strategies and selection of features/evaluation of system stability

Well said Victor Benedictovich! The purpose of CB is to make money out of it...

Saw Shura, they are golden. https://www.mql5.com/ru/articles/2930
Вычисление коэффициента Херста
Вычисление коэффициента Херста
  • Dmitriy Piskarev
  • www.mql5.com
Шаг 2. Задаем массив цен закрытия и одновременно проверяем, доступны ли на текущий момент 1001 баров истории по выбранной валютной паре. Почему 1001, хотя по ТЗ задано 1000 баров? Ответ: потому что будет создан массив логарифмических доходностей, для формирования которого необходимы данные предшествующего значения.    ...

The market is not predictable. There you go.

Dr. Trader:
Oh, the disinformer downloaded a new book. We take out our notebooks and add the mentioned literature to the black list.
Are you going to keep showing your lowest level, or are you going to make an argument?

Maxim Dmitrievsky:
OOS can be used only for canceling hypotheses or only for known stationary problems.

But not for search of strategies and selection of features/evaluation of system stability

Let's assume that this is true and we have lost the main way of estimation.
Is any alternative solution suggested? Or is this a call that everything is useless and we can forget about MO?
Give me a link to the original, please.

elibrarius:

Let's assume that this is the case and we are deprived of the main method of evaluation.
Is there an alternative solution offered? Or is this a call that everything is useless and we can forget about MO?
Give me a link to the original, please.

https://towardsdatascience.com/validation-methods-for-trading-strategy-development-1efea8284b02

I read a shitload of stuff, but I only throw in what I like or agree with, or have written about it myself before.

I wrote about it and cited an excerpt from the article to confirm my thoughts

If you doubt my cognitive abilities :D

Validation Methods For Trading Strategy Development
Validation Methods For Trading Strategy Development
  • Michael Harris
  • towardsdatascience.com
There are several methods used to validate trading strategies but each has advantages and disadvantages. In this article we discuss four…

You're constantly inserting quotes and pictures from somewhere, without even understanding the validity of the source, and the applicability of the method to the problem at hand; you're trying to just guess instead of thoughtfully answering. And often you don't guess, which leads to misinformation of other forum readers. While all this is easily googled and checked on the first page of the search, but you do not even bother to check. It is clear that all for the sake of rating under the avatar, you stuffed posts, but still check the information.

Dr. Trader:

You're constantly inserting quotes and pictures from somewhere, without even understanding the validity of the source, and the applicability of the method to the problem at hand; you're trying to just guess instead of thoughtfully answering. And often you don't guess, which leads to misinformation of other forum readers. While all this is easily googled and checked on the first page of the search, but you do not even bother to check. It's understandable that it's all about ranking under your avatar, stuffing your posts, but do check the information.

lol, that's a nice touch, for the ranking)) i don't... don't care

stop smoking

Reason: