AMD Ryzen 7 4980U vs. Intel i7 1185G7 for Backtesting

Hi! I am gonna buy a new laptop tomorrow (Microsoft Surface Laptop 4) and am a bit unsure which processor is primarily better for Backtesting (but not optimization)? Anyone here who has some technical background to be able to answer this. From Google is saw (if that is right) that AMD has 8 cores and 16 for hyperthreading and Intel has quad core and 8 for hyperthreading. The rest I don't f.. have a clue of ;-) 
I read that for Backtesting only 1 core is is used but not sure about this hyperthreading?! 
If any one can shed any light on that would be great. Thanks guys!

algotrader01:
Hi! I am gonna buy a new laptop tomorrow (Microsoft Surface Laptop 4) and am a bit unsure which processor is primarily better for Backtesting (but not optimization)? Anyone here who has some technical background to be able to answer this. From Google is saw (if that is right) that AMD has 8 cores and 16 for hyperthreading and Intel has quad core and 8 for hyperthreading. The rest I don't f.. have a clue of ;-) 
I read that for Backtesting only 1 core is is used but not sure about this hyperthreading?! 
If any one can shed any light on that would be great. Thanks guys!

Both will slow down drasticly when they get warm, so both lappys will be shite for all sorts of backtesting unless you keep them in a freezer hehe But the one that will throttle the least of those even tho it will probably smoke during any sort of backtesting would the the amd, but the one that would be faster for all non backtesting stuff would be the intel, but only by a small margin. (My day job is computer systems engineer, building and buying computers suited to its purpose)

Personally I would go for an i7, because backtesting uses only one core, Intel has less cores but more powerful, instead AMD has more core but less powerful, if backtesting had used all cores I would have bought AMD, but it doesn't.

Jox90 #:
Personally I would go for an i7, because backtesting uses only one core, Intel has less cores but more powerful, instead AMD has more core but less powerful, if backtesting had used all cores I would have bought AMD, but it doesn't.
For Forex, AMD is ultimate, if you trade on your own laptop/destop. The multicore threads of AMD are far superior and reaches almost the same speed of your broker backbone placing orders, this is my personal experience.

aneesquraishi #:
For Forex, AMD is ultimate, if you trade on your own laptop/destop. The multicore threads of AMD are far superior and reaches almost the same speed of your broker backbone placing orders, this is my personal experience.
yes for manual, but for eas usually it is used a vps, and on yourside what matters is backtesting.

Hello everybody and thank you for your input from different angles!

I finally decided to go for the i7. I dont do multiple currency/symbole backtesting at once and no optimization so I think i7 should be fine. I rather decided to go for 16gig ram instead of 8gig. My Algo is already trading but of course on a rented windows server with much more power. I use the laptop mainly to develop my strategy and do single symbol backtests

But very interesting to see all your inputs coming from different sides of trading. Looking forward to some more experiences from other users.

Anyhow thanks a lot so far! Best!
Reason: