Why EA looks for old file and path in Strategy Tester ?

Hi Friends

I failed to understood, why my EA keeps looking for old files which have been deleted / relocated to a different folder.

It seems some where the Strategy Tester keeps old records and repeat them while running. As I noticed two times, I did change the TimeFrame, but Tester was using old TimeFrame. Basically I am looking to reset the Tester. How can I do that?

Please help me out.

JR 0 09:43:17.214 Core 1 connecting to 127.0.0.1:3000
RS 0 09:43:17.216 Core 1 connected
NJ 0 09:43:17.224 Core 1 authorized (agent build 3091)
RQ 0 09:43:17.239 Tester US30,M5 (Pepperstone-Demo): visual testing of Experts\AKT\Expert\AKT Algo v1.00.ex5 from 2021.11.01 00:00 to 2021.11.06 00:00
NO 0 09:43:17.271 Core 1 common synchronization completed
QE 0 09:43:17.521 Tester quality of analyzed history is 100%
LR 2 09:43:17.522 Tester expert file C:\Users\Anil Varma\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Indicators\MyIndicators\Technical\iBands.ex5 open error [3]
LK 2 09:43:17.523 Tester expert file C:\Users\Anil Varma\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Indicators\MyIndicators\iCustom\cVWEMA.ex5 open error [3]
HO 2 09:43:17.523 Tester expert file C:\Users\Anil Varma\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Indicators\MyIndicators\iCustom\cZigZag.ex5 open error [3]
MK 2 09:43:17.524 Tester expert file C:\Users\Anil Varma\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Indicators\MyIndicators\iCustom\cMFI.ex5 open error [3]
KL 2 09:43:17.524 Tester expert file C:\Users\Anil Varma\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Indicators\MyIndicators\iCustom\cRSI.ex5 open error [3]
FH 2 09:43:17.525 Tester expert file C:\Users\Anil Varma\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Indicators\MyIndicators\iCustom\cVWMACD.ex5 open error [3]
MP 2 09:43:17.525 Tester expert file C:\Users\Anil Varma\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Indicators\MyIndicators\iCustom\cAD.ex5 open error [3]
II 2 09:43:17.526 Tester expert file C:\Users\Anil Varma\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Indicators\MyIndicators\iCustom\cII.ex5 open error [3]
LP 2 09:43:17.527 Tester expert file C:\Users\Anil Varma\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Indicators\MyIndicators\iCustom\cVolume.ex5 open error [3]

The Fundamentals of Testing in MetaTrader 5
The Fundamentals of Testing in MetaTrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
What are the differences between the three modes of testing in MetaTrader 5, and what should be particularly looked for? How does the testing of an EA, trading simultaneously on multiple instruments, take place? When and how are the indicator values calculated during testing, and how are the events handled? How to synchronize the bars from different instruments during testing in an "open prices only" mode? This article aims to provide answers to these and many other questions.

If you have not provided the code, then you will not receive help (there are no telepaths here).

General advice - first of all look for mistakes in yourself.

Vladimir Karputov #:

If you have not provided the code, then you will not receive help (there are no telepaths here).

General advice - first of all look for mistakes in yourself.

" If you have not provided the code, then you will not receive help (there are no telepaths here)."

The problem is if I provide the code as attachments, some forum members complain that they will not read it until know what is inside or if I provided the code and attachment many will not have time to go through it (the length of code and multiple files). So it is catch 21 situation for me.

It would be good if you (being an Masters of the Subject), can ask specific code where I could have made mistake.

" General advice - first of all look for mistakes in yourself."

I have tried from my side to check thoroughly in code, no where I am calling indicators with old path or file name.

The indicators called from new path are working perfectly fine WITHOUT any ERROR.

Wish you could have paid attention to "As I noticed two times, I did change the TimeFrame, but Tester was using old TimeFrame and when Looked into Input Tab, I realized it still uses the old TimeFrame, changing it solved the problem." part of my query. This simply does not require any code.

Anyway thanks for your time.

QE 2 10:13:42.006 Tester program file Indicators\MyIndicators\iCustom\cVWEMA.ex5 read error

NF 2 10:13:42.006 Custom Indicator loading of cVWEMA US30,M5 failed [557]

PR 0 10:13:42.048 Tester program file added: \Indicators\MyIndicators\cVWEMA.ex5. 17575 bytes loaded

You must learn how to use the strategy tester.

When a person makes mistakes in his code, he usually does this: reduce his code to a minimum, and thus localize the error. You need to throw out all your code and leave only the OnInit section. This way you will find your mistake very quickly. I also repeat - learn to work with the strategy tester.

How to start with MQL5
How to start with MQL5
  • www.mql5.com
This thread discusses MQL5 code examples. There will be examples of how to get data from indicators, how to program advisors...

Vladimir Karputov #:

When a person makes mistakes in his code, he usually does this: reduce his code to a minimum, and thus localize the error. You need to throw out all your code and leave only the OnInit section. This way you will find your mistake very quickly. I also repeat - learn to work with the strategy tester.

Thanks Vladimir

I will into your suggestions and hope to pin point the problem code.

Vladimir Karputov #:
You must learn how to use the strategy tester.

Cool ... this looks to be very informative article.

Will grasp it to learn how to use strategy tester.

Thanks a lot

Vladimir Karputov #:

Hi Vladimir

I have gone through the article learn to work with the strategy tester. I is informative, however could not find answer to my problem.

I have tried running a blank EA just created from the template and run it. To my utter surprise, the error still continues, that CONFIRMS my belief that the tester is saving information and while next run, it use that information again.

Would be great if I know how to RESET Strategy Tester to kind of NULL and it start afresh.

The EA otherwise working fine (gives no error) in real mode on demo account.

Anil Varma - # :

Hi Vladimir

I have gone through the article learn to work with the strategy tester. I is informative, however could not find answer to my problem.

I have tried running a blank EA just created from the template and run it. To my utter surprise, the error still continues, that CONFIRMS my belief that the tester is saving information and while next run, it use that information again.

Would be great if I know how to RESET Strategy Tester to kind of NULL and it start afresh.

The EA otherwise working fine (gives no error) in real mode on demo account.

Please follow these steps:

1. Provide your MQL5 code
  2. Describe in detail where you click, what you do, what you get. With screenshots.
Remember - this is a technical forum and no one will even consider anything without proof. Remember: at your steps, anyone should calmly reproduce your example.

Vladimir Karputov #:

Please follow these steps:

1. Provide your MQL5 code
  2. Describe in detail where you click, what you do, what you get. With screenshots.
Remember - this is a technical forum and no one will even consider anything without proof. Remember: at your steps, anyone should calmly reproduce your example.

Thanks Vladimir

The problem has been sorted out itself. I just run the tester for a different period and it gives no more errors.

So it is again assured that it was not the MQL CODE problem.

Reason: