Do EA'S really work

I have been trading now for over 10 years and my biggest failure is the psychology. I started to learn to code about 3 years ago and I am still no expert with loads still to learn! In the time that I have been learning I have programmed hundreds of EA's some of which work for a period of time then fail or some that make a small profit consistently but not enough unless you have a huge account to make a living from. I have tried martingale, smarting gale, trailing stops, candle trailing stops. every possible combination of indicators. Basket trading. My head is spinning. I have not figured out how to write my own strategy which is basically based on support, resistance, Fibonacci levels and patterns effectively into an EA yet! but I will get there eventually.  

My question is what should I be aiming for with a successful EA a consistent small profit or quick pips multiple times a day like HFT. ???? 

Any tips or success stories would be appreciated

combination of both imo. Most traders here will say scalping is always the go, however, in past 2 years i have done both at same time. When scalping strategy fails me, the longer term trades, while they have smaller average profit, they do pick up the slack while my scalping strategies are in dd.

But i agree that trading consistently can only be done with big balances. those with smaller balances can quaduple their balances in a month or 2, but then lose it all in the next 2. IMO the smaller the balance you start with, the more risk you will take.

1. HFT is not multiple times a day; it is millions of transactions per day.
  2. You can't do that over the internet. Spend a few million for a colocated server with your broker.

William Roeder:
  1. HFT is not multiple times a day; it is millions of transactions per day.
  2. You can't do that over the internet. Spend a few million for a colocated server with your broker.

nice. now he just needs to get those first "few millions" haha

Reason: