1. Why most brokers are still using MT4 instead of MT5. Why dont they make an option so traders can choose what platform they will use.
2. Can same quotes from a server be used for 2 or more platforms?
angevoyageur, thanks for your answer. Offcourse we better to ask to brokers for precise answer and each broker has their own reasons. But since this is a forum I want to discuss here. So here I guess the reasons :
Hi Belido,1. Most brokers are still using MT4 instead of MT5 as much of the volume generated from MT4 is done via Expert Advisers. Although MetaQuotes have released a converter to change mql4 code to mql5 code, it doesn't always work. There are much more functions and depth in mql5 which makes it increasingly harder for custom EAs to be 'upgraded' to MT5. For this reason MT5 has never really taken off. As more EAs are developed for MT5 the number of accounts opened on MT5 is likely to increase.
Within the general trading community this is a perception that there is virtually no difference between MT4 and MT5. The advantages of MT5 over MT4 are not perceived as being great enough to justify the investment into establishing a large MT5 client base. I've got hands on experience of both MT4 and MT5 administration and it is very true that MT5 is much harder to administrate. All the added flexibility is matched by the increased complexity.
2. The sharing of Quotes between platforms is very possible especially when the quotes are being broadcast in compliance with a recognized standard, eg. FIX. This sharing of quotes can be seen with the MT4 to Integral bridge and the Integral FX Inside Platform. The same quote engine can broadcast the quotes to both platforms seamlessly.
1. Yes, MT5 is more complex than MT4. I think they developed MT5 not for replacing MT4. Now MT4 is developed to resembles MT5.
2. I found that same broker have different quote server for each MT5 and MT4.