It's possible to running EA in demo/prod in terminal mode?

There is possible do run the MT5 without the graphical interface and only start the MT5 with my EA in a terminal? Similar with the MT5 cloud. How can I do this?

Virtual hosting for MetaTrader 5
Virtual hosting for MetaTrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
The fastest VPS server for forex trading from the MetaTrader 4/5 terminal developers

Alain Verleyen:
https://www.mql5.com/en/vps

I known about the VPS, but I want to run in terminal locally. With this functionality I can do some scripts and run some automation on my setup (and use several accounts at same time, like 3 demos and 1 prod). Do it in graph mode is confuse and error prone...

Rafael Caetano Pinto:

I known about the VPS, but I want to run in terminal locally. With this functionality I can do some scripts and run some automation on my setup (and use several accounts at same time, like 3 demos and 1 prod). Do it in graph mode is confuse and error prone...

Not possible.

Alain Verleyen: Not possible.

It is somewhat possible, but requires "power user" knowledge of Windows. You can have windows run MetaTrader as a service or a background task and no user or graphic interface displayed.

I don't know if this is allowed by the MetaQuote's EULA, so I will only describe the process superficially without exact specifics.

I have done it myself before, to run EAs for me without human intervention. It requires setting up a separate installation on a different folder, and doing all the initial setup of terminal manually, like hiding the various windows (Navigator, Data , etc) and only having the Chart with the EA open, but minimized so as to reduced resource usage of the "virtual screen" that windows creates for it in the background task.

You then have to define the Task settings or Service settings for Windows to launch it at startup (or when ever you decide), including Windows logon credentials to start it up even if a user is not logged onto the machine.

I also added extra code to the EA to write status information (to the log files and separate files), and also send eMails (to a local private SMTP server), which I then used to monitor it since there is no user interface.

For more advanced usage, you can even send requests to the terminal or the EA (via Win API custom messages), such as a controlled safe shutdown of the process instead of just terminating the task.

You can also use named pipes to exchange information between the EA and a controlling application if needed, but I did not require that for my setup.

All this obviously, requires advanced knowledge of working with Windows!

Fernando Carreiro:

It is somewhat possible, but requires "power user" knowledge of Windows. You can have windows run MetaTrader as a service or a background task and no user or graphic interface displayed.

I don't know if this is allowed by the MetaQuote's EULA, so I will only describe the process superficially without exact specifics.

I have done it myself before, to run EAs for me without human intervention. It requires setting up a separate installation on a different folder, and doing all the initial setup of terminal manually, like hiding the various windows (Navigator, Data , etc) and only having the Chart with the EA open, but minimized so as to reduced resource usage of the "virtual screen" that windows creates for it in the background task.

You then have to define the Task settings or Service settings for Windows to launch it at startup (or when ever you decide), including Windows logon credentials to start it up even if a user is not logged onto the machine.

I also added extra code to the EA to write status information (to the log files and separate files), and also send eMails (to a local private SMTP server), which I then used to monitor it since there is no user interface.

For more advanced usage, you can even send requests to the terminal or the EA (via Win API custom messages), such as a controlled safe shutdown of the process instead of just terminating the task.

You can also use named pipes to exchange information between the EA and a controlling application if needed, but I did not require that for my setup.

Interesting, thanks.

Fernando Carreiro:

Great idea! Tks a lot!

Reason: