Can an EA open trades from alert/plots generated by an Indicator?

Hi,

I wanted to know if it is possible to code an EA that can open trades from alert/plots generated by an Indicator as the code of the indicator is not available and I am prohibited to share its EX4 file with anyone. Moreover, can trades be opened with the help of email alerts? (Want to avoid latter option as it can delay trade opening time.)

Regards.

Muhammad Ehsaan: I wanted to know if it is possible to code an EA that can open trades from alert/plots generated by an Indicator as the code of the indicator is not available and I am prohibited to share its EX4 file with anyone. Moreover, can trades be opened with the help of email alerts? (Want to avoid latter option as it can delay trade opening time.)

Yes, it is possible to have EA use the data from graphical objects created by an Indicator to be able to trade. This is not an easy task, and depending on the graphic objects created, it can be quite complex. Not all coders can do it easily and the overall cost of the EA may be high.

The coder however, will need access to the Indicator in ".ex?" form in order to be able to study how and what graphical objects are created, how they are named, and what data can be used.

If however, the ".ex?" file is protected and will only work on your account, then you will probably need to save the chart to a template for the code to analyse the objects or allow them access to you setup in real-time via a screen-sharing app for them to be able to study the Indicator, or by sharing Investor password access to your account while sharing the ".ex?" file with them.

It is also very important to know if it is a repainting indicator or if the graphic objects are created after the fact, like for example zigzag patterns.

If you can post a screenshot of the indicator placed on a clean chart with nothing else on it but that indicator, we can perhaps give you an idea of how complex it will be to be able to use via an EA.

Fernando Carreiro:

Yes, it is possible to have EA use the data from graphical objects created by an Indicator to be able to trade. This is not an easy task, and depending on the graphic objects created, it can be quite complex. Not all coders can do it easily and the overall cost of the EA may be high.

The coder however, will need access to the Indicator in ".ex?" form in order to be able to study how and what graphical objects are created, how they are named, and what data can be used.

If however, the ".ex?" file is protected and will only work on your account, then you will probably need to save the chart to a template for the code to analyse the objects or allow them access to you setup in real-time via a screen-sharing app for them to be able to study the Indicator.

Hi,

Thankyou so much for the extensive helpful reply. Please let me know if the indicator alerts compiled in the txtfile in Mql4/log can be of any use/help as the alert generated contains the pair, signal, sl, tp, etc. For example: Trading Alert: GBPJPY (1 min) Long 150.35, SL=150.34, TP=150.44, 2021.04.27 09:00. And your advice on the email alert method?

Regards.

Fernando Carreiro:

It is also very important to know if it is a repainting indicator or if the graphic objects are created after the fact, like for example zigzag patterns.

If you can post a screenshot of the indicator placed on a clean chart with nothing else on it but that indicator, we can perhaps give you an idea of how complex it will be to be able to use via an EA.

I have tested the indicator and it is non-repainting. It plots an arrow along with horizontal lines for tp and sl.

Files:

Muhammad Ehsaan: Thankyou so much for the extensive helpful reply. Please let me know if the indicator alerts compiled in the txtfile in Mql4/log can be of any use/help as the alert generated contains the pair, signal, sl, tp, etc. For example: Trading Alert: GBPJPY (1 min) Long 150.35, SL=150.34, TP=150.44, 2021.04.27 09:00. And your advice on the email alert method?

Yes, email alerts can be used to generate the signals for the EA to trade, but as you said, it can be quite slow to react and complex to code.

The log file text can be used to help the coder better understand how to interpret the graphic object data, but it won't be very practical to be used as source to trigger trades. It can be done but it is complex and not very practical. The best method is still the direct access to the graphical object data.

Muhammad Ehsaan: I have tested the indicator and it is non-repainting. It plots an arrow along with horizontal lines for tp and sl.

Yes, from the screenshot you provide, and can say from experience coding something similar, that yes, the graphical object data can be used for the EA logic to be able to trade.

Muhammad Ehsaan: I have tested the indicator and it is non-repainting. It plots an arrow along with horizontal lines for tp and sl.
Also, the arrows however seem to be created by a buffer instead of graphic objects maybe? Can show a screenshot of the Indicator's colours' setup?

Fernando Carreiro:
Also, the arrows however seem to be created by a buffer instead of graphic objects maybe? Can show a screenshot of the Indicator's colours' setup?

Yes, here.

Muhammad Ehsaan: Yes, here.

It seems that the Indicator is outputting 12 buffers, which can be used by the EA. It might not be necessary to use the graphical objects to obtain the data. It may just be much easier and the data easily accessible via the buffers instead.

Fernando Carreiro:

It seems that the Indicator is outputting 12 buffers, which can be used by the EA. It might not be necessary to us the graphical objects to obtain the data. It may just be much easier and the data easily accessible via the buffers instead.

I see. The buffers can be accessed via which files? Or are they accessed via scripts?
Reason: