Same strategy, different symbols.

Does a strategy must be profitable on all symbols to be considered a good one? 
I'm developing a lot of different strategies for each forex pairs and metals and I always got different results. 

What's your experience?

Many strategies are having different results (performing differently) with different brokers.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Every tick VS Every tick based on real ticks AND latency on StrategyTester (backtesting)

Sergey Golubev, 2017.04.25 18:24

---------------------

Of course, if you are planning to trade EA with some broker so you will use broker's data/tick. If we do not like their data so we may change the broker with more good data.

And the data/ticks are not unified for the different brokers ... For example, there are some indicators (iTrend for Brainwashing system for example) which are showing the different results with the different brokers.

There are some EAs (for example: for day trading on D1/W1, martingale) which will have very similar results/performance with the dufferent brokers during the trading. But there are many EAs which are having the performance based on the brokers' data (intra-day trading EAs, scalping, counter trend EAs, and some more).

---------------------

If some person will tell me the following: "I have profitable EA."
I will ask him: "Which broker for" (is it profitable for which broker?)
If he will reply: "Any broker" so he is using martingale strategy, or he is trading on W1 timeframe with the trades opened once per half a year for example.

In this way we can understand the recommendation of the MetaQuotes for subscribers concerning the signals to use same broker with the signal provider.

---------------------

Leo:
I'm developing a lot of different strategies for each forex pairs and metals and I always got different results. 

What's your experience?

I've been trying to develop a EA that works on any pair for the last 5 years, but that is very hard to to.

Forex pairs behave differently from each other, it's very hard to make it profitable on every pair month after month. If you manage to develop a good strategy, it should be profitable on a combination of pairs on the long run. I mean, this month you could have profit on EURUSD and GBPUSD, but lose money on USDJPY. Next month EURSD and USDJPY could make money and GBPUSD lose money.

In the end I did manage to make some EAs work on every pair using renko charts (I personally use a custom type of renko that I developed for my own strategy). You will probably have to relearn everything you know to make it work on renko, because most indicators will behave differently. But when you analyse different pairs on renko, they all seem the same. That was a game changer for me.

Good luck!

there should be hardly any EA that can make profit on all symbols.

the price activities are so different from symbol to symbol.

maybe we should analyze and develop EA by focusing on only one specific symbol.

Guang Yuan :

there should be hardly any EA that can make profit on all symbols.

the price activities are so different from symbol to symbol.

maybe we should analyze and develop EA by focusing on only one specific symbol.

For this reason, the parameters that can be optimized are included in the experts.

@Guang Yuan Well, while it's hard to make it work on any symbol, it's possible! I've done it using renko (as I said in my previous post).

Developing for a single symbol, while it's easier to make something work, will probably be too optimized to work on the long term.

@Ahmet Metin Yilmaz optimization is a very dangerous route in my opinion! It must be very well done (using out-of-sample testing, WFA, monte carlo, etc), otherwise you will be curve fitting the EA to the past behavior of the symbol.

Leo:

What's your experience?

I'm trying to do the same but it's very difficult to fit a strategy to flat and trending pairs. It would be nice if only the advisor could be autooptimized for each pair.

Reason: