Very strange: a line of code does nothing despite not being commented - page 3

Keith Watford:

As there has been no further reply from the OP we can only assume that he was testing different code.

I was sleeping and the problem remains.

Problem solved.

I gave more thought to what other code there could be and, while it's true that there is only one strange() function, there is also a useless duplicate of the library containing the function in another directory that I had completely forgotten about.

It feels good now.

mt4ski:

Problem solved.

I gave more thought about what other code there could be and, while it's true that there is only one strange() function, there is also a useless duplicate of the library containing the function in another directory that I had completely forgotten about.

LOL

mt4ski:

Problem solved.

I gave more thought to what other code there could be and, while it's true that there is only one strange() function, there is also a useless duplicate of the library containing the function in another directory that I had completely forgotten about.

It feels good now.

So the problem was down to the coder, not 

a MT4 bug, a Windows bug, a hacker... or my computer is possessed by a demon.

Strange though, if I am using a library and I duplicate a function from the library in my own code, the compiler defaults to my version of the function.

Keith Watford:
Strange though, if I am using a library and I duplicate a function from the library in my own code, the compiler defaults to my version of the function.

For the sake of simplicity, I omitted to say strange() was itself in a library. I was going to clarify just before I found the solution.

mt4ski:

For the sake of simplicity, I omitted to say strange() was itself in a library. I was going to clarify just before I found the solution.

So, as I said earlier, you were testing different code to the code that you posted.

Now perhaps you can see how you waste people's time when you don't  post all the relevant code.

Keith Watford:

So, as I said earlier, you were testing different code to the code that you posted.

Now perhaps you can see how you waste people's time when you don't  post all the relevant code.

I did post all the code though. 

mt4ski:
I did post all the code though. 

You didn't. You have already stated that you were using a library.

Keith Watford:

You didn't. You have already stated that you were using a library.

I honestly gave all the relevant code, going as far as pasting the #include command for a library. In hindsight it's easy to say "you should have", but at the time I didn't see a reason/failed to specify that strange() was in a library, as it made no difference in terms of code execution provided I was working on the correct file... which was my blind spot to begin with.

Now if you want me to upload all my source code every time I have a question I prefer to figure things out on my own. 

mt4ski:

I honestly gave all the relevant code, going as far as pasting the #include command for a library. In hindsight it's easy to say "you should have", but at the time I didn't see a reason/failed to specify that strange() was in a library, as it made no difference in terms of code execution provided I was working on the correct file... which was my blind spot to begin with.

Now if you want me to upload all my source code every time I have a question I prefer to figure things out on my own. 

If you gave all the relevant code, one of us would have quickly pointed out your issue. The "code" you posted was mocked up nothing, that allowed no one to gain any insight into what you may have done wrong, save for the typos the fake code contained.

If your code is too top secret to share when asking for help, you'll just have to find the problem yourself. Glad you figured that one out on your own though.

Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Named Constants / Predefined Macro Substitutions
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Named Constants / Predefined Macro Substitutions
  • www.mql5.com
//| Expert initialization function                                   | //| Expert deinitialization function                                 | //| Expert tick function                                             | //| test1                                                            |...
Reason: