How to store array data over time

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the MT language, haven't coded anything in a very long time, and yet... I am going try my hand at making an EA :p. I've already one running  and have some of my own ideas that I would like to try out.

I'm starting by reading through the language database and writing out some pseudo code however I came across a question to which I cannot find the answer.

Sorry if I'm dumb, but...

Do arrays survive execution of the script? My understanding is that scripts are entirely executed once per tick, therefore anything I define will be cleared at the end of the script and redefined again on the next one.

How then can we maintain array data over time? I saw in another thread somebody mentioned using comment files or log files, which I guess are accessed on each tick. That would certainly work, but is there an easier way?

I am aiming to build around the grid theme, so would be carrying trade data from tick to tick.

Again sorry if this is a noob question but I can't seem to find my answer in the knowledge base.

Of course if it is there, please do feel free to link me to it :)

Thanks for your help!

Cornelius

Zippu:

Do arrays survive execution of the script?

Are you discussing an EA or a Script?

Hi Keith, it's a good question thanks.

My goal is an EA, however I am not yet familiar with the differences between them.

I understand of course that a script is run once and the EA is always active - however it isn't clear to me if the EA isn't just a script which is repeatedley run on each tick.

How is the distinction made in the code?

(and, if there are specific resources that discuss this please do link me :) )

Cornelius

Zippu:

My goal is an EA, however I am not yet familiar with the differences between them.

I understand of course that a script is run once and the EA is always active - however it isn't clear to me if the EA isn't just a script which is repeatedley run on each tick.

Cornelius

Read this:  https://www.mql5.com/en/docs/runtime/running  and rest of the chapter on MQL5 programs.

Documentation on MQL5: MQL5 programs / Program Running
Documentation on MQL5: MQL5 programs / Program Running
  • www.mql5.com
Each script, each service and each Expert Advisor runs in its own separate thread. All indicators calculated on one symbol, even if they are attached to different charts, work in the same thread. Thus, all indicators on one symbol share the resources of one thread. All other actions associated with a symbol, like processing of ticks and history...

Zippu:

Cornelius

An EA has a function called OnTick() which is run on every tick

A Script has a function called OnStart() which is run once.

That's perfect, thank you very much @Drazen Penic, @Fernando Morales and @Keith Watford.

I really appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Happy trading!

Cornelius

Reason: