Objects appearing across multiple symbols on same chart/template

Hello,

I want to be able to draw Trendlines, Channels, Fibs, essentially any object on a chart for a specific symbol e.g a horizontal line level 1.1 on EURUSD and restrict it to only the chosen symbol. However, when I drag in another symbol on the same chart window, e.g. AUDNZD, I see the same horizontal line drawn on the chart for EURUSD earlier.

This happens for all objects such as arrows, trendlines, fibs, channels, texts etc.

Of course, if I were to do this on a different chart window and drag the 2nd symbol on to it, it won't exist there; but this is now what I want to do. I want to be able to use the same chart window and drag multiple symbols one after the other on to it.

Furthermore, if I save the chart as a template, it saves all the objects in the template allowing me to replicate them across multiple charts, but again the objects don't discriminate the symbols to which they originally pertain.

I was once told that putting the symbol in the description field of the object will make it visible only for the specified symbol, but this doesn't seem to work for me.

Can anyone advise me on whether I've got some setting wrong and how I can fix it? I'd be grateful.

Regards

Narayan

RNarayan:

Hello,

I want to be able to draw Trendlines, Channels, Fibs, essentially any object on a chart for a specific symbol e.g a horizontal line level 1.1 on EURUSD and restrict it to only the chosen symbol. However, when I drag in another symbol on the same chart window, e.g. AUDNZD, I see the same horizontal line drawn on the chart for EURUSD earlier.

This happens for all objects such as arrows, trendlines, fibs, channels, texts etc.

Of course, if I were to do this on a different chart window and drag the 2nd symbol on to it, it won't exist there; but this is now what I want to do. I want to be able to use the same chart window and drag multiple symbols one after the other on to it.

Furthermore, if I save the chart as a template, it saves all the objects in the template allowing me to replicate them across multiple charts, but again the objects don't discriminate the symbols to which they originally pertain.

I was once told that putting the symbol in the description field of the object will make it visible only for the specified symbol, but this doesn't seem to work for me.

Can anyone advise me on whether I've got some setting wrong and how I can fix it? I'd be grateful.

Regards

Narayan

Try.

Write in settings needed symbol and save this indicator with template. or just use it on chart 

Files:
Cleaner.mq4  1 kb

RNarayan: However, when I drag in another symbol on the same chart window, e.g. AUDNZD, I see the same horizontal line drawn on the chart for EURUSD earlier.
So don't do that, open a second chart.

eevviill6:

Try.

Write in settings needed symbol and save this indicator with template. or just use it on chart 

Hi eevviill6,

Thanks. I tried your indicator and its seems that it is meant to clean any objects once you change symbol. Like the idea, and sorry if I wasn't clear, but I want to be able to retain/save the objects I've drawn for a symbols on a chart so that it appears only when I drag that particulay symbol again on the chart.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Narayan

whroeder1:
So don't do that, open a second chart.

Hi whroeder1,

Thanks for your reply but as stated in my original post, "I want to be able to use the same chart window and drag multiple symbols one after the other on to it."

Regards

Narayan

RNarayan:

Hi whroeder1,

Thanks for your reply but as stated in my original post, "I want to be able to use the same chart window and drag multiple symbols one after the other on to it."

Regards

Narayan

Objects are not linked to a symbol, they are linked to a chart, so you can't do that with "standard" MT4 .

However it's possible to code it, you will have to run an indicator or an EA on the chart.

RNarayan:

Hi eevviill6,

Thanks. I tried your indicator and its seems that it is meant to clean any objects once you change symbol. Like the idea, and sorry if I wasn't clear, but I want to be able to retain/save the objects I've drawn for a symbols on a chart so that it appears only when I drag that particulay symbol again on the chart.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Narayan

Files:
Cleaner.mq4  2 kb

Alain Verleyen:

Objects are not linked to a symbol, they are linked to a chart, so you can't do that with "standard" MT4 .

However it's possible to codeT it, you will have to run an indicator or an EA on the chart.

Thanks for the advice, Alain.

Do you know of any EAs or Indicators in the Market that can do this?

Regards,

Narayan

RNarayan:

Regards,

Narayan

No sorry.

RNarayan:

Regards,

Narayan

RNarayan,

Hi, I'm just looking at moving to MT4 or MT5 and discovered the problem you mentioned back in 2016 which is still the situation. Personally I can't understand why a trendline drawn on a EURUSD chart should still be displayed if you change the symbol to EURGBP (say). I assume I'll have to have separate charts or is it profiles for each symbol. Can you tell me how you got around the problem?

regards

John
Reason: