2 robots on the same pair

Hello,

One of the excuses I have got from a seller for his robot not performing was that I was running multiple robots on the same pair.

He said I should not run more than one robot for one pair in the same account (even different ones).

I find that rather limitative since everybody trades heavily on EURUSD and a few other typical pairs.

In theory it should work as long as the magic numbers are different.

Do you consider this rule as valid?

Did you ever experience interference problem between 2 different robots with different magic numbers?

I could not find any discussion about this problem on the net (except from a guy telling the same story from the same seller).

Thanks. 

You are correct about the Magic Number separately identifying the orders which belong to each EA, HOWEVER...

If the EA has code that closes all orders based on the pair name then one EA could close orders from the other EA.

This is why some EAs that close orders (found in Utilities in the Market Tab), will sometimes have an option to close by Magic Number or Order Number and why some don't and just close all orders by pairs.

Also the EAs might stop each other from making orders if it check the PAIR to see if there is already an order outstanding.  In this case the second EA would detect an open order and not fill its signal because it does not want to open a 2 order.

So depending on how the EAs are codedwill tell you if you are right and the Magic Number would separate orders by EA or not.

Michael Maggi:

You are correct about the Magic Number separately identifying the orders which belong to each EA, HOWEVER...

If the EA has code that closes all orders based on the pair name then one EA could close orders from the other EA.

This is why some EAs that close orders (found in Utilities in the Market Tab), will sometimes have an option to close by Magic Number or Order Number and why some don't and just close all orders by pairs.

Also the EAs might stop each other from making orders if it check the PAIR to see if there is already an order outstanding.  In this case the second EA would detect an open order and not fill its signal because it does not want to open a 2 order.

So depending on how the EAs are codedwill tell you if you are right and the Magic Number would separate orders by EA or not.

Thanks.

This makes sense.

If I was able to code complete EAs myself, all the possibilities you point out would never happend since I would only close or check the trades corresponding to the magic number.

I think this should be the minimum logic in robustness.

But, it does not mean all coders see that the same way, and some others might take shortcuts by simple lazyness, so it depends.

Reason: