Different results between strategy tester results and live trading results for an EA. Can anybody tell why?

Hi friends. I found an EA for trading on Renko Charts and it looks very promising on the strategy tester, but when i tested it with a live account, it wasn't profitable and I wonder how. I'll attach the EA and you test it yourselves. And I would appreciate it if you could tell me the reason why it has different results on Strategy tester and live account trading.

Alirzen:
Hi friends. I found an EA for trading on Renko Charts and it looks very promising on the strategy tester, but when i tested it with a live account, it wasn't profitable and I wonder how. I'll attach the EA and you test it yourselves. And I would appreciate it if you could tell me the reason why it has different results on Strategy tester and live account trading.

Did you calibrated it? (you have to calibrate the EA for your chosen pair/timeframe before start using it on live account)

rrocchi:

Did you calibrated it?

What do you mean by calibrating it? I don't know how to calibrate an EA 

Alirzen:
What do you mean by calibrating it? I don't know how to calibrate an EA 

Folow the guide below.

Once you get used to it, it is easy to do.

https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/algotrading/testing

And I recommend you run the calibration every weekend or so (because the market changes and you need to have it always "tunned" [calibrated] so you can always get good results.

Strategy Testing - Algorithmic Trading, Trading Robots - MetaTrader 5
Strategy Testing - Algorithmic Trading, Trading Robots - MetaTrader 5
  • www.metatrader5.com
The Strategy Tester allows you to test and optimize trading strategies (Expert Advisors) before using them for live trading. During testing, an Expert Advisor with initial parameters is once run on history data. During optimization, a trading strategy is run several times with different sets of parameters which allows selecting the most...

rrocchi:

Folow the guide below.

Once you get used to it, it is easy to do.

https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/algotrading/testing

And I recommend you run the calibration every weekend or so (because the market changes and you need to have it always "tunned" [calibrated] so you can always get good results.

Thanks. I opened the link but didn't find anything about calibration. I even searched the word on the page but did find no match. 

Alirzen:
Thanks. I opened the link but didn't find anything about calibration. I even searched the word on the page but did find no match. 

Find the section "Choosing Test Parameters" on that page. 

After it, "Selection of Input Parameters" 

To calibrate means to input a range of parameter under Start, Step and Stop, and then start the the Testing by clicking Start (as the picture there)

It will run the EA and test the full range of parameters, wait for it to finish.

After it you will receive a report, and a table of results. On that table will be the best and the worse parameters (Sort the table using the Profit Column) Find the top best parameter. Make note of it's values, they are the calibrated values. Configure your EA with those parameter, and you have done the calibration.

rrocchi:

Find the section "Choosing Test Parameters" on that page. 

After it, "Selection of Input Parameters" 

To calibrate means to input a range of parameter under Start, Step and Stop, and then start the the Testing by clicking Start (as the picture there)

It will run the EA and test the full range of parameters, wait for it to finish.

After it you will receive a report, and a table of results. On that table will be the best and the worse parameters (Sort the table using the Profit Column) Find the top best parameter. Make note of it's values, they are the calibrated values. Configure your EA with those parameter, and you have done the calibration.

Got it. Thank you very much!

Hi, your quality test is n/a, so results backtest can be fortuity. Most important you have to get quality test between 90-99%, than you can accept results as good. Remember, lower time frame (M1, M5), is hardest to backtest. Regards Greg

You've also got a lot of Mismatched Chart Errors meaning the data you're testing off is incomplete

Another consideration is the spread, you strategy may work well in tester using 10 spread, but live it widens at various times during the day, this can drastically change the outcome, especially with tight Stop-losses

Also Slippage, you may have a Stop loss at say 1.21000, but the price isn't continuous, it could hit 1.20999 and then the next tick be on 1.21023 (loosing an extra 23 pips of what strategy tester would return)

Reason: