MT5 vs MT4, which one is better?

Guys, for those of you who are using automated trading, which platform is better. MT4 or MT5, and why?

I have read that the main differences between the 2 platforms are MT5 are able to trade indices, futures and indexes whereas MT4 cant. Also MT5 had more timeframes. But in terms of program efficiency, are MT5 faster and more efficient (since is newer)? and in what way?

thanks for the kind reply

I deleted some promotion from the name of your thread and from your post above (two words were deleted).
As to your question so it was already discussed many times - 

----------------

MT4 vs MT5 

MQL5 vs QLUA - Why trading operations in MQL5 are up to 28 times faster? - the article  

The Video from MQ: demonstration of the calculations on the GPU in MQL5 code and the graphics capabilities of the terminal 

MQL5 speed test (compare with MQL4 and C++)
https://www.mql5.com/ru/forum/217992#comment_5943518 (in Russian)

How to Start with Metatrader 5
How to Start with Metatrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
I decided to create this thread to help to myself and to the others to start with Metatrader 5...

Yes it is faster, but of course this also depends a great deal on the quality of the feed coming from your broker server.

energyliger:

Guys, for those of you who are using automated trading, which platform is better. MT4 or MT5, and why?

I have read that the main differences between the 2 platforms are MT5 are able to trade indices, futures and indexes whereas MT4 cant. Also MT5 had more timeframes. But in terms of program efficiency, are MT5 faster and more efficient (since is newer)? and in what way?

thanks for the kind reply

Definitively MT5. Much more complete.

I suppose that most of the ppl keeping MT4 are ppl with olds indicators/EA and unable to convert it however MT4 still have numberous users 

Btw MT4 is no longer supported officially so if you're just starting your activity, switch directly to MT5

• Whether speed, or the future potential , MT5 is better.

energyliger:

I have read that the main differences between the 2 platforms are MT5 are able to trade indices, futures and indexes whereas MT4 cant.

Not true.

If the broker that you use offers indices etc, then they can be traded on MT4

Reason: