Drawdown?

Hello, guys!

I'm new to Forex and I would like to ask you a question, if possible.

What is DrawDown?

mean, I know it's the difference between the maximum value reached by the portfolio and the minimum value reached by the portfolio.

My question is, does DrawDown comprise the whole trading period or just the closing of the transaction?

For exampleassuming I have a wallet of USD 1,000.00 and I open a EUR/USD transaction. At one point in the transaction, I was suffering a loss of USD 200, but I ended up closing the deal with a loss of only USD 100. My DrawDown is 20% (200/1000) or 10% (100/1000)?

I ask this because I want to know if I can use an EA with a 50% DrawDown.

Assuming the actual Drawdown is less than 50%, can I use it this kind of EA without any problem (I know, the market can change, and the DD can go to 100%)?

Asarov16:

Hello, guys!

What is DrawDown?

mean, I know it's the difference between the maximum value reached by the portfolio and the minimum value reached by the portfolio.

My question is, does DrawDown comprise the whole trading period or just the closing of the transaction?

For exampleassuming I have a wallet of USD 1,000.00 and I open a EUR/USD transaction. At one point in the transaction, I was suffering a loss of USD 200, but I ended up closing the deal with a loss of only USD 100. My DrawDown is 20% (200/1000) or 10% (100/1000)?

Assuming the actual Drawdown is less than 50%, can I use it this kind of EA without any problem (I know, the market can change, and the DD can go to 100%)?

it will be 20% and calculated from the total equity

Asarov16:

Hello, guys!

What is DrawDown?

The maximal drawdown reflects the whole trading procedure and not only the closed trades.

In your example the drawdown reached 20% and you closed your position with a loss of 10%.

Eleni Anna Branou:

The maximal drawdown reflects the whole trading procedure and not only the closed trades.

In your example the drawdown reached 20% and you closed your position with a loss of 10%.

Thank you very much for the explanation!

Asarov16:

Of course you can use an EA with 50% drawdown, but the question is: do you want to?

That means 1/2 your capital is gone, and what it takes to recover that, based upon your now 50% stake, is 100%.

Do a search on the phrase "recovering from a drawdown." FXStreet has a good article on it.

Asarov16:

Hello, guys!

What is DrawDown?

if the drawdown was equal to 10% (100/1000) and you are saying that the trade was closed with 10% loss then its called "10% loss" not called a 10% drawdown since there is no difference in the definition

the drawdown is for sure 20% in that example 

Drawdown represent that how much money will be gone or in risky when you use that system or EA. For me, i'm only use with maximum drawdown around 10-20% it's too big for me too.
Reason: