OnTick() event in any symbol

hello

As you know, the OnTick event is generated when a new tick for a symbol is received, to the chart of which the Expert Advisor is attached.

I have an ExpertAdvisor that monitor multiple symbols and I would like to trigger the OnTick event when a Tick from ANY Symbol in my MarketWatch is received. Even if the symbol where my EA is attached is not receiving any Tick.

Actually I use a call to OnTick in my OnTimer function but I would like to call it exactly when I receive the Tick.

thanks in advance.

Client Terminal Events - MQL4 programs - MQL4 Reference
Client Terminal Events - MQL4 programs - MQL4 Reference
  • docs.mql4.com
Immediately after the client terminal loads a program (an Expert Advisor or custom indicator) and starts the process of initialization of global variables, the Init event will be sent, which will be processed by OnInit() event handler, if there is such. This event is also generated after a financial instrument and/or chart timeframe is changed...

See this article for one way to do it. (It's for MT5 but it can be done similarly with MT4).
The Implementation of a Multi-currency Mode in MetaTrader 5
The Implementation of a Multi-currency Mode in MetaTrader 5
  • Konstantin Gruzdev
  • www.mql5.com
Currently, there are a large number of developed multi-currency trading systems, indicators, and Expert Advisors. Nevertheless, the developers continue to face the specific problems of multi-currency systems development. With the release of the MetaTrader 5 client terminal and the MQL5 programming language, we gained a new opportunity to...

FXreedom:

hello

As you know, the OnTick event is generated when a new tick for a symbol is received, to the chart of which the Expert Advisor is attached.

I have an ExpertAdvisor that monitor multiple symbols and I would like to trigger the OnTick event when a Tick from ANY Symbol in my MarketWatch is received. Even if the symbol where my EA is attached is not receiving any Tick.

Actually I use a call to OnTick in my OnTimer function but I would like to call it exactly when I receive the Tick.

thanks in advance.

Errr ... you'll have to loop thru marketwatch with a tight ontimer() and check change ask/bid/time to simulate an ontick

some do it with onchartevent ... whatever until now i've never heard of a perfect way to do it, maybe there is ! 

ok, thanks to both 

FXreedom:
ok, thanks to both 

Here is a more simplified approach to the article that Alain posted. This (same) EA goes on multiple charts and sends ticks when the input var is set to "MCEA_WORKER", and it will receive ticks when set to "MCEA_MANAGER". Apply the EA to charts in any order you want and you can have any number of workers and managers. 

#property strict

#include <Arrays\ArrayLong.mqh>
//--- input parameters
#define MCEA_WORKER_REGISTER 9
#define MCEA_WORKER_REGISTER_REPLY 10
#define MCEA_MANAGER_REGISTER 11
#define MCEA_MANAGER_REGISTER_REPLY 12
#define MCEA_WORKER_TICK 13

enum MCEA_MODE{
   MCEA_WORKER,
   MCEA_MANAGER
};

input MCEA_MODE     InpMode=MCEA_WORKER;

class IdSet : public CArrayLong
{
   public: 
   bool Add(const long chart_id)
   {
      for(int i=0;i<this.Total();i++)
         if(this[i] == chart_id)
            return false;
      return CArrayLong::Add(chart_id);
   }
   void clean()
   {
      for(int i=this.Total()-1;i>=0;i--)
         if(!_find(this[i]))
            this.Delete(i);
   }
protected:
   bool _find(long id)
   {
      for(long ch=ChartFirst();ch>=0;ch=ChartNext(ch))
         if(id==ch)
            return true;
      return false;
   }
};

//-- GLOBALS
IdSet workers, managers;
struct Q{long id;datetime time;} queue;
//+------------------------------------------------------------------+
int OnInit()
{
   for(long ch=ChartFirst(); ch>=0; ch=ChartNext(ch))
      if(ch != ChartID())
         if(InpMode==MCEA_WORKER)
            EventChartCustom(ch,MCEA_WORKER_REGISTER,ChartID(),0.0,_Symbol);
         else
            EventChartCustom(ch,MCEA_MANAGER_REGISTER,ChartID(),0.0,_Symbol);
   return(INIT_SUCCEEDED);
}
void OnTick()
{
   if(InpMode==MCEA_WORKER)
   { 
      for(int i=managers.Total()-1;i>=0;i--)
         if(!EventChartCustom(managers[i],MCEA_WORKER_TICK,ChartID(),0.0,TimeToString(
            TimeCurrent(),TIME_DATE|TIME_MINUTES|TIME_SECONDS
         )))
            clean_arrays();
   }
   else if(queue.id >= 0)
   {
      if(TimeCurrent()==queue.time) 
         printf("tick-event coming from %s",ChartSymbol(queue.id));
      queue.id = -1;
   }
   else
   {
      Print("***TICK-EVENT ON THIS CHART***");
   }
}
void OnChartEvent(const int id,
                  const long &lparam,
                  const double &dparam,
                  const string &sparam)
{
   if(InpMode == MCEA_MANAGER)
   {
      if(id==CHARTEVENT_CUSTOM+MCEA_WORKER_REGISTER)
      {
         workers.Add(lparam);
         if(!EventChartCustom(lparam,MCEA_WORKER_REGISTER_REPLY,ChartID(),0.0,_Symbol))
            clean_arrays();
      }
      else if(id==CHARTEVENT_CUSTOM+MCEA_MANAGER_REGISTER_REPLY)
      {
         workers.Add(lparam);
      }
      else if(id==CHARTEVENT_CUSTOM+MCEA_WORKER_TICK)
      {
         queue.id = lparam;
         queue.time = StringToTime(sparam);
         OnTick();
         return;
      }
   } 
   else if(InpMode == MCEA_WORKER)
   {
      if(id==CHARTEVENT_CUSTOM+MCEA_MANAGER_REGISTER)
      {
         managers.Add(lparam);
         if(!EventChartCustom(lparam,MCEA_MANAGER_REGISTER_REPLY,ChartID(),0.0,_Symbol))
            clean_arrays();
      }
      else if(id==CHARTEVENT_CUSTOM+MCEA_WORKER_REGISTER_REPLY)
      {
         managers.Add(lparam);
      }
   }
}

void clean_arrays()
{
   workers.clean();
   managers.clean();
}

ALEJANDRO GRANERA VEGA:

hello

thanks in advance.

A good question actually. Never did it before but if I had to, I would proceed like this :
create an indicator to attach on the very chart you use the EA on. This indicator will create objects (labels for example) that give you the information of Ask, Bid and Spread for all the symbols you want to monitor. These objects can be hidden or put in a sub-window of the chart. The indicator should be made of init and start and not oninit and oncalculate.
Once this is done, your EA can detect changes of your symbols by monitoring changes of these labels on the chart with an OnEvent function sensitive to the object changes.
For the record, I have never done that before but this is only the way I think it would work. Hope this will!
Reason: