How to stop the deletion of Historic Data when Backtesting

I have about 8 years of historic data that I would like to backtest against because my brokers data doesn't go back that far.   I can clear our the history and upload this data into meta trader before running the backtest.   However, even if I have wifi off and delete the account from metatrader, when I close metatrader and then re-open it, it deletes my data (or at least some of it, because there are a reduced number of records left).   Is it possible to stop this from happening ?

The reason that I am asking is that I wanted to try out the following walk forward analysis tool, but I don't think this will work properly if meta trader keeps deleting my history when it opens:

<commercial link removed by moderator>

Thanks

Mark

Just mark you history-data of the tester as read-only

Carl Schreiber:

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your input.

I have gone into the History folder and then the server sub folder, where there are a number of .hst files for the currency that I am interested in.   I have then set all of those .hst files to read only.

Following this, I delete all of the data from the history centre for the currency I am interested in.   Unfortunately when I re-open meta trader, the History Centre gets populated again.

Could you please let me know if there is something else that I should be doing.

Thanks

Mark

Carl Schreiber:

Hi Carl,

I tried the following:

a) I deleted the account so that meta trader was no longer associated with a specific account.

b) deleted the history/server .hst files and data from the history centre and closed meta trader.   It then re-populated the some of the data and re-created some .hst files even though it was no longer associated with an account.

c) I then repeated the previous step.   Again it repopulated data, but only the 1 minute and 5 minute timeframe.

d) I repeated it again, but this time is only re-creates the 1 minute .hst file.

e) I then repeated the last step a number of times, but cannot stop it from re-creating the 1 minute .hst file.    I don't know why, but it seems to be re-creating this 1 minute data from somewhere even though

MetaTrader is no longer associated with an account.

If you have any other suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Mark

Reason: