Is this a bug? Incomplete candles that don't even form

Hi,

For the past week weeks I have been observing very weird look of candles on different trading symbols' charts. The problem seems to be that candles don't even form or barely start to form correctly. I haven't seen any major internet connection problem with MT server so I don't understand what else could be the reason. It is happening on different but not all charts. Does anyone else have same situation? The problem is that candles look like microscopically small dots and don't even look like rectangles (upstanding ones). Sometimes they don't even get the shadows (neither upper nor lower) created but this shouldn't be a problem because this is up to the market situation if candles will have shadows or not. Much more I am worried that candles are not fully formed but only look like very small dots. Example of NZDCHF at 10:30am GMT+1 on 20th March is attached.

I know very well what Doji(s) are but those are surely not Doji candles. This makes me even more worried that there might be something wrong with my MT4 terminals. Does anyone have same problems recently?

Files:
MT4BUG.jpg  64 kb

Andrei0:

Hi,

For the past week weeks I have been observing very weird look of candles on different trading symbols' charts. The problem seems to be that candles don't even form or barely start to form correctly. I haven't seen any major internet connection problem with MT server so I don't understand what else could be the reason. It is happening on different but not all charts. Does anyone else have same situation? The problem is that candles look like microscopically small dots and don't even look like rectangles (upstanding ones). Sometimes they don't even get the shadows (neither upper nor lower) created but this shouldn't be a problem because this is up to the market situation if candles will have shadows or not. Much more I am worried that candles are not fully formed but only look like very small dots. Example of NZDCHF at 10:30am GMT+1 on 20th March is attached.

I know very well what Doji(s) are but those are surely not Doji candles. This makes me even more worried that there might be something wrong with my MT4 terminals. Does anyone have same problems recently?

May I ask you which time frame were you looking at/ the picture you posted from which time frame did you capture?

There are no problem, it may happen that you are busy looking at a small time frame, try to have a look at the bigger time frame such as H1, H4 and D1

it normal, and plus I notice gap on your chart, those small candle are usually formed on smaller TF. Try to trade major currencies, stay away from exotic currencies.

Chris Mukengeshayi:

May I ask you which time frame were you looking at/ the picture you posted from which time frame did you capture?

There are no problem, it may happen that you are busy looking at a small time frame, try to have a look at the bigger time frame such as H1, H4 and D1

it normal, and plus I notice gap on your chart, those small candle are usually formed on smaller TF. Try to trade major currencies, stay away from exotic currencies.

Thank you for reply. Exotic or major currencies have nothing to do with this. Neither type of instrument, it could be stock, it could be material, it could be commodity, it could be index, just about anything, even bitcoin. Currency pairs are not the only financial instruments.

The time frame was H4.

Do you or anyone else see such microscopically small candles as dots instead of rectangles too? Recently, e.g. in the past few weeks?

Andrei0:

Thank you for reply. Exotic or major currencies have nothing to do with this. Neither type of instrument, it could be stock, it could be material, it could be commodity, it could be index, just about anything, even bitcoin. Currency pairs are not the only financial instruments.

The time frame was H4.

Do you or anyone else see such microscopically small candles as dots instead of rectangles too? Recently, e.g. in the past few weeks?

You should probably ask to your broker which provides the data.

Andrei0:

The time frame was H4.

Well from the picture you have posted, it wasn't clear to see which TF, I had just given you possible approach to your problem, since you had said you took it from NZDCHF, I had checked my H4 TF and everything was alright and when I had check the M1, of-course we can all expect miniature candles body and gaps.

in this case just follow what Mr Alain has recommended you to do.

Ok, I researched this and would like to give the summary of the problem investigation (analysis) so I can contribute something to this forum too and perhaps someone will find it helpful:

Failure Description:

Candles are formed in a shape of very small dots instead of upstanding rectangles. They are so small that they are hard to be seen on chart. Such problematic candles are usually with missing upper and/or lower shadow. Such very small dot (the candle) is Not doji. This may happen on different time frames and failure may occur regardless of financial instrument type.

Cause Of Failure:

Possibility 1 (rarely): MT platform is kept longer for a large period of time.
Possibility 2 (semi-rarely): MT platform is facing connection problem with the server(s).
Possibility 3 (most possible): Many charts are being opened at the same time and therefore MT terminal may sometimes face problem with accurately updating the data (candles) on chart.

Consequence Of Failure:

Unclear vision where trend is going, unable to do accurate analysis of trading work (indicators/fundamental/technical etc). Drawing of either horizontal or vertical lines get much more complicated and further failure in such lines positioning can occur.

Solution:

Open or click on the problematic chart containing described failure. Right click anywhere on the background. Menu will open. Click on ''REFRESH''.

Reason: