USDXe = (1/EURUSD+USDJPY+1/GBPUSD+USDCHF+USDCAD+1/AUDUSD+1/NZDUSD)/7
EURXe = (EURUSD+EURJPY+EURGBP+EURCHF+EURCAD+EURAUD+EURNZD)/7
JPYXe = (1/USDJPY+1/EURJPY+1/GBPJPY+1/CHFJPY+1/CADJPY+1/AUDJPY+1/NZDJPY)/7
GBPXe = (GBPUSD+1/EURGBP+GBPJPY+GBPCHF+GBPCAD+GBPAUD+GBPNZD)/7
CHFXe = (1/USDCHF+1/EURCHF+CHFJPY+1/GBPCHF+1/CADCHF+1/AUDCHF+1/NZDCHF)/7
CADXe = (1/USDCAD+1/EURCAD+CADJPY+1/GBPCAD+CADCHF+1/AUDCAD+1/NZDCAD)/7
AUDXe = (AUDUSD+1/EURAUD+AUDJPY+1/GBPAUD+AUDCHF+AUDCAD+AUDNZD)/7
NZDXe = (NZDUSD+1/EURNZD+NZDJPY+1/GBPNZD+NZDCHF+NZDCAD+1/AUDNZD+)/7

...which caused so badly excessive CPU usage that I after a week or so of waiting for it to settle, I had to stop using them. Ive reset the profiles once by deleting all the associated data from the data folder but it did nothing. To contrary it actually got so bad on Monday when starting the platform, that not just the platform but whole system became unresponsive and after few minutes of waiting I had to restart the computer. The terminal was also using some 3-4GB of ram.

I can't belive that calculating those indices could be so resource heavy, are they?

Running on Win10, i5-3570K with 16GB of RAM and dropped the max bars on chart to 10000 (which didnt seem to have any impact).

bwa:

I had following custom symbols on FxPro MT5:

...which caused so badly excessive CPU usage that I after a week or so of waiting for it to settle, I had to stop using them. Ive reset the profiles once by deleting all the associated data from the data folder but it did nothing. To contrary it actually got so bad on Monday when starting the platform, that not just the platform but whole system became unresponsive and after few minutes of waiting I had to restart the computer. The terminal was also using some 3-4GB of ram.

I can't belive that calculating those indices could be so resource heavy, are they?

Running on Win10, i5-3570K with 16GB of RAM and dropped the max bars on chart to 10000 (which didnt seem to have any impact).

Reset your Windows.  I did over the weekend. Wonderful and fast now again. 

bwa: I had following custom symbols on FxPro MT5:

Unfortunately, in the current state of MT5 development, Synthetic Symbols (which is what you where using) and Custom Symbols (something slightly different) are still quite problematic.

Synthetic Symbols in particular, are still very unstable, resource intensive and "buggy" (especially at the M1 level). Personally, I would recommend not using them. I found that making one's own EA to accomplish the same calculations using Custom Symbols was much less resource intensive and more accurate, but even so, it was still much more resource intensive than the old MT4 "Offline Charts" equivalent.

MetaQuotes decided to ditch the old "Offline Charts" that is quite popular with MT4, but has yet to come up with a viable alternative for them in MT5. Custom Symbols and Synthetic Symbols just don't cut it.

PennySeven: Reset your Windows.  I did over the weekend. Wonderful and fast now again. 

That has nothing to do with the case at hand. If you don't use Custom Symbols and Synthetic Symbols, you won't understand what is the problem to which the OP is referring.

Fernando Carreiro:

That has nothing to do with the case at hand. If you don't use Custom Symbols and Synthetic Symbols, you won't understand what is the problem to which the OP is referring.

Fine.

I was just trying to help. 

You are saying that Custom Symbols are not so good. 

Are they still ok for setting up M7, M8, M9, etc custom minute charts with indicators?

PennySeven: Fine. I was just trying to help. You are saying that Custom Symbols are not so good. 

Are they still ok for setting up M7, M8, M9, etc custom minute charts with indicators?

Yes (using a work around) and no, but mostly NO! Custom Symbols still use the same time frames as regular symbols, which means that M7, M8, M9 are not available.

There is a workaround, and that is to produce the data at the M1 Level onto multiple symbols. So, for EURUSD, you would produce the Custom Symbols EURUSD_M7, EURUSD_M8, EURUSD_M9 and produce the equivalent data onto the M1 Chart for those symbols.

This obviously, requires that either an Indicator or EA to be coded in order to produce these Custom Symbols, but this would still be a somewhat resource intensive procedure, so it is not viable if you trade on many symbols in this way.

PS! Also note, that you cannot trade on the Custom Symbol charts (they are only for visual use). You still have to trade on the main symbol chart and you will not be able to see any of the open trades or their stops on the Custom Symbol charts.

Fernando Carreiro:

Yes (using a work around) and no, but mostly NO! Custom Symbols still use the same time frames as regular symbols, which means that M7, M8, M9 are not available.

There is a workaround, and that is to produce the data at the M1 Level onto multiple symbols. So, for EURUSD, you would produce the Custom Symbols EURUSD_M7, EURUSD_M8, EURUSD_M9 and produce the equivalent data onto the M1 Chart for those symbols.

This obviously, requires that either an Indicator or EA to be coded in order to produce these Custom Symbols, but this would still be a somewhat resource intensive procedure, so it is not viable if you trade on many symbols in this way.

PS! Also note, that you cannot trade on the Custom Symbol charts (they are only for visual use). You still have to trade on the main symbol chart and you will not be able to see any of the open trades or their stops on the Custom Symbol charts.

I can do this myself without being a coder by following the instructions under Custom Symbols, can´t I?

PennySeven: I can do this myself without being a coder by following the instructions under Custom Symbols, can´t I?

No! Please read my post again!

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

MT5 and excessive CPU usage after with custom symbols

Fernando Carreiro, 2018.01.30 17:31

Fernando Carreiro:

No! Please read my post again!

Ok. So, I need some-one to code it for me. 

Thank you.

I am lucky that I currently have the M3, M4, M5 and M6 consecutively on the MT5. 

At the moment I mostly really only use the M3 - and then the others for confirmation. 

i have observed after create synthetic simbols and also loading historic data, resources back to normal levels. However i had lot of problems to create historical data. Demo metaquotes have not enough data and import not working as i want.

I hope they iron out these CPU issues soon.

In MT4, I had created code to calculate and refresh synthetic charts on the fly, but just being able to type a formula and have an otherwise identical MT5 chart calculate itself is potentially so much more simple and powerful, if they can actually spend some time fixing the issues. Seems they are being ignored in every version update.

Reason: