Discussion of article "Graphical Interfaces XI: Rendered controls (build 14.2)" - page 2

Ex Ovo Omnia:

I would say the text is scaled properly, unlike all the rest of the graphics.

That depends how you look at it. You can either scale up the bitmaps to match the font size of scale down the font size to match the size of the bitmaps.

Scaling up bitmaps is not really something you want to do because unlike vector graphics bitmaps will loose quality when scaled up. The font on the other hand is vector based so can be scaled up and down without loss in quality.

Obviously the bast way to cope with the problem would be to use vector graphics, but I don't think the platform supports it (although I may be wrong here as I don't really do graphics in metatrader).

Personally I scale down the font proportionally to match the DPI. 

Anyway, it would be nice if the controls could handle this by default so we don't need to worry about it.

Artur Zas:

That depends how you look at it. You can either scale up the bitmaps to match the font size of scale down the font size to match the size of the bitmaps.

Scaling up bitmaps is not really something you want to do because unlike vector graphics bitmaps will loose quality when scaled up. The font on the other hand is vector based so can be scaled up and down without loss in quality.

Obviously the bast way to cope with the problem would be to use vector graphics, but I don't think the platform supports it (although I may be wrong here as I don't really do graphics in metatrader).

Personally I scale down the font proportionally to match the DPI. 

Anyway, it would be nice if the controls could handle this by default so we don't need to worry about it.

I do not contradict the picture scaling difficulties, I just can spot that the font size change corresponds to the scaled Metatrader application GUI. So if you decrease the font size, you could make the letters rather tiny on the hi-res monitor.

Ex Ovo Omnia:

I do not contradict the picture scaling difficulties, I just can spot that the font size change corresponds to the scaled Metatrader application GUI. So if you decrease the font size, you could make the letters rather tiny on the hi-res monitor.

Yes. I agree. It would be better to have the graphics match the size of the font which indeed matches the scaled up MT5 GUI. I was just looking for a way to have this better looking in a way that the font size matches the rest of the graphics.

I guess this is the best we are going to get in a mixed environment of raster & vector graphics.

Artur Zas:

Technically speaking it should as OBJ-BITMAP_LABEL is also available in MQL4, but you would need to adjust the library code as there are a few places where the code will just not compile using the MQL4 compiler.

I'll try to play around with the library and I'll let you know, if I'm able to somehow port it to MQL4. You can also try by yourself. Just rename the example EA's .mq5 extension to .mq4 and try to compile the code.

Obviously, you will get compilation errors however you can check where and what they are. 

Hi Artur,

I know this is an old post, I was wondering how you went with converting this to MT4.. Any luck?

thanks

Reason: