How to increase profit and cut losses in EA's

Hi,

I'm writing my first EA which partially shows nice numbers in back testing. However, I can't figure out how to improve the bad parts.

Firstly, it has a high winning percentage of 86% however only a small profit factor because the losing trades loose much more than the winners win!

I have a MM in place which does not use more than 5% of the account balance per trade and over all active trade not more than 11% of the account balance can be used. Also I trail all stop losses.

It seems that I'm closing (OrderClose) the winning trades too early and cut the losing trades too late (or S/L them).

What is a good strategy for that? I implemented something like "don't close winning trades even if there's a closebuy signal" but that did not work out better either!

Would appreciate any tips! The full metatrader report can be found here.

hi,

what you can do is close only part of your winner position. this way you secure profits, but still give yourself a chance to gain bigger profits with the part of position left opened. your problem then will be how to decide when to close the rest of the position, but i can't help you about that without knowing your system.

and about trailing stop: they ussually cute your profits instead of increasing them. be carefull- it is good only in specific situations, mainly when you suspect a strong and sharp movement is about to happen (like after an importent announcment or so), but you have no idea how far will it go. normally it will end in closing positions in the wrong time, somtimes even when the position could win with the original s/l.

nice day,

david wood.

Reason: