Simple Code - Unresolvable Error - Array out of range

To add comments, please log in or register
lilses
lilses  

Hi, 

I made a very simple mt4 indicator that shows signals based on volume; if the volume is higher than previous buy/sell as an example.

I run into array out of range error with this code

int limit = MathMax(rates_total - prev_calculated,2);

for(int i=1;i<(limit);i++)

{

if (tick_volume[i]>tick_volume[i+1]) // **Out of range code points to this line**

{

//do code

}

//--- return value of prev_calculated for next call

return(rates_total);

}

Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen  
lilses:

Hi, 

I made an indicator that shows signals based on volume; if the volume is higher than previous buy/sell as an example.

I run into out of range error with this code

for(int i=1;i<(limit);i++)

{

if (tick_volume[i]>tick_volume[i+1]) // **Out of range code points to this line**

{

//do code

}

//--- return value of prev_calculated for next call

return(rates_total);

}

When prev_calculated is 0, if i is limit-1 (last iteration), i+1 is  equal to rates_total. Maximum index for tick_volume is rates_total-1.

Adjust your loop to avoid it.

lilses
lilses  
Alain Verleyen:

When prev_calculated is 0, if i is limit-1 (last iteration), i+1 is  equal to rates_total. Maximum index for tick_volume is rates_total-1.

Adjust your loop to avoid it.

Alain thank you for replying!

To make sure I understand correctly, my loop should not run if i+1 == rate_total?

for(int i=1;(i+1!=limit);i++)

{

}

Also, does this error basically happen when there are no new volume ticks - tick_volume[i+1] == EMPTY because sometimes it'll work and then give an error when I change timeframe for example?

Still can't understand as Open[i+1] would not give any error and they both represent the same candle?

After thinking a little bit more, I'm guessing the solution would look something like this;

if (tick_volume[i+1] == EMPTY){

//do not run

}

I would like some answers to the 2 questions above.

whroeder1
whroeder1  
Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen  
lilses:

Alain thank you for replying!

To make sure I understand correctly, my loop should not run if i+1 == rate_total?

for(int i=1;(i+1!=limit);i++)

{

}

Also, does this error basically happen when there are no new volume ticks - tick_volume[i+1] == EMPTY because sometimes it'll work and then give an error when I change timeframe for example?

Still can't understand as Open[i+1] would not give any error and they both represent the same candle?

After thinking a little bit more, I'm guessing the solution would look something like this;

if (tick_volume[i+1] == EMPTY){

//do not run

}

I would like some answers to the 2 questions above.

You don't understand the problem.

1. tick_volume is an array

2. An array has a size (a number of items). (rates_total items for tick_volume).

3. Each item is identified by an index.

4. First item index is 0, last is size-1. (so for tick_volume between 0 and rates_total-1).

5. When using i+1 as index, if i is greater or equal to rates_total-1, so i+1 greater or equal to rates_total, you have a "out of range" error.

6. So you must be sure i is always lower than rates_total-1.

WHRoeder posted a link with practical example. Please also search about this error if it's still not clear.

Once you understand the problem, it's easy to fix.

To add comments, please log in or register