Candel Calulation

Hi!

Feel like a scrub, but here it goes:

Ive noticed that that current shown Price on my chart doesnt represent Bid, Ask, nor anything in between. is actually exactly Bid-5*points. I was wondering if anyone knows why? Do i simply have a bad prefence setting. If i run a backtest, then my Candelprice is also my Bid price.

here is a pic where i Display the prise difference:

Is this normal? and how does this effect my EA? I rely heavly on fractals for Scalping...

would really appreciate a suggestion

-Andy

Files:

It is completely normal

Bid and Ask do not have (and are not) same as close price at all. As of your EA : they must open orders according to bid and ask price. Backtest can not reconstruct exact entries (since they do not have tick data they can not have historical bid and ask, they are simply using some "close" which is reconstructed from open, high, low and close of the bars + current spread - it is one of the main reasons why some scalping EAs look so good in backtest and they fail big in real time)

N0talent:
Hi!

Feel like a scrub, but here it goes:

Ive noticed that that current shown Price on my chart doesnt represent Bid, Ask, nor anything in between. is actually exactly Bid-5*points. I was wondering if anyone knows why? Do i simply have a bad prefence setting. If i run a backtest, then my Candelprice is also my Bid price.

here is a pic where i Display the prise difference:

Is this normal? and how does this effect my EA? I rely heavly on fractals for Scalping...

would really appreciate a suggestion

-Andy

Well im using tickdata from Ducas to backtest my EA. does that not reconstruct the entries pretty well? I also have a realistic spread for the time the EA is active.

Metatrader, regardless of the broker you are using, does not "know" anything about ticks. Minimal time resolution it "knows" about is 1 minute. Also, since it does not record either historical bid price or historical spread, combined with the lack of tick data. it is completely unable to "reconstruct" exact ask prices or exact price action for the past in back-test

The "tick-by-tick" mode that is said to be the most precise is, for the lack of the data explained above, just a rough guess. When you record what kind of prices was the genetic algorithm they are using in back-test generating it looks something like this (this example is a 10 simulated ticks bar example - not even a 1 tick example) :

I leave you decide how close to real price action all these things lead to in back test

N0talent:
Well im using tickdata from Ducas to backtest my EA. does that not reconstruct the entries pretty well? I also have a realistic spread for the time the EA is active.
Files:

thanks! thats very itneressting. so the MT4 backtesting tool is basicly as good as a coinflip? Is there any resonable way to backtest a strategy (for example on a different software)? I actually though i had a good Backtesting area with 99% modeling quality.

To that I can only answer with what is already a "mantra" of systems testing : never trust back-tests. On any platform If some platform has tick data then some other data is going to miss, and so on ...

Back-test should tell us if our system is performing roughly reasonable ... if it is going to be perform really reasonable only forward test can give the answer

N0talent:
thanks! thats very itneressting. so the MT4 backtesting tool is basicly as good as a coinflip? Is there any resonable way to backtest a strategy (for example on a different software)? I actually though i had a good Backtesting area with 99% modeling quality.

thanks alot for your clear explination. Will consider this in futer Backtest and my generall aproach on devoloping EAs.

Reason: