RangerFX - page 3

cacus:
High range = High volatility (generally speaking)...

The value from ATR are always Pips, notice that it always shows something like 0.0018... 0.0039... etc, those are 18, 39 pips...

ATR get an average of pips height per bar... if you set ATR period to 1 then you'll be measuring the height of the current bar (or the bar you set it to by the shift value) in pips.

Some times there's an stampede that could give you a bad entry, so you but a maxrange to prevent a high volatility market and also an ATR with period 1 to avoid early entries with tall bars...

Hmmmm.... actually the fluctuation filter measure the high volatility which blocks trade if the high - low is more than 3 x the ATR value, my atr value is 120 period. this should block trade when high bar creates a moving average cross over.

I try to code my settings in factors like for my TP and SL so that I will be more robust to endure changing market.

doshur EA

Hey doshur,

thanks for your EA. I will look what will the results on my broker and will give feedback.

Crashbulle

Crashbulle:
Hey doshur,

thanks for your EA. I will look what will the results on my broker and will give feedback.

Crashbulle

Thanks, any suggestion for improvement are welcome.

How come I cannot edit my first post?

cacus:
Well, i could suggest a range filter. Since your EA calculate ranges you could add that filter in order to find the optimum conditions for a trade.

Some breakouts may happen when range is too high, and the same when range is too low.

Also, you could add some kind of reentering on a new signal, accept a No. of max trades in counter trend so the EA could recover from a first bad entry. (lot incremental would be a good thing to test with just in case).

If the No of open orders is > 0 then you set TP to the BE of the first order, or make a basket of profit cut, suppose: if there's 2 open orders and the net profit is 0.5 percent of the account balance then we close both orders in net profit and we finally recovered that first bad entry. On some of my EAs this works really great.

And you may think that this can raise the risk, technically speaking yes, but you could add a % or equity protection. I use it too and gives really good results.

Remember that for reentering you may have to set a minimal Pip distance variable to reenter. Say, you want to reenter only if we are down by 20 pips from the first order and so. (a kind of grid trading)

(Bid-FirstOrderOpenPrice)>PipDistance*OpenOrders()... something like that (reverse for buys)...

So the EA will open counter trend orders if he got another signal JUST at Xpip distance on each order...

I have implemented those kind of things on most of my EAs and this makes my EAs adapt hell better. It also raise the profit factor and the % winners and you get a smooth equity curve.

If i got another idea i will not hesitate to inform you.

Regards.

cacus

Scaling in – Not Averaging Down

Although fading the trend may not be the rule most retail traders wish to follow, it is the dealers’ second trick that can be of tremendous help to retail speculators. In his very informative book, The Market Makers Edge, Josh Lukeman writes, “Successful market makers have controlled the ego-based need to be absolutely correct. Because markets are constantly in motion, it is almost impossible to be exactly right on (in your entries).” Such a probative approach to the markets is at the heart of most successful professional trading. Dealers know full well that their first foray into the trade is often wrong. They rarely commit the full position amount on the first try.

One of the key differences between professionals and amateurs is that professionals scale into trades while amateurs average down. This statement may seem like clever wordplay, but it’s not. Let’s assume that both the professional and the amateur decide to risk two percent of their capital account on a particular trade. The professional knows full well that he will not be able to hit the exact entry point on his first attempt. Therefore, he may allocate only 0.3% of his capital to the first entry, 0.6% on the second and 1.2% to the third – and stop himself out at -2.7% away from original entry price (-2% risk).

On the other hand, the amateur will plow in with a full two-percent position, and then when the trade goes against him, he may decide to “double down again” and then average in yet a third time. At this point, the amateur has committed six percent of his capital to the trade, and if the trade continues to move against him, he will throw in his towel with a massive -12% loss (sum of -6%,-4% and -2% losses). Five disasters like that and the amateur loses 60 percent of his account. In a zero-sum game, he has just moved much closer to zero.

inspired by ArtVor System

following the previous bar (did some statistic test, by following the previous bar going in the same direction on 1H gives you around 40% accuracy)

time filter also implemented

Some optimization. Working on other sets atm.

Files:
ranger.htm  18 kb
ranger_1.gif  7 kb

Hi doshur,

Busy testing the EA now - could you please tell me just an well estimate of how many times this EA is in trade over whatever amount of time? Like how active is it?

I have rewritten this EA.

Had remove all filters, using purely moving average cross over and macd + 2 time frame analysis

will post the results soon. need sponsorship for VPS to carry out forward testing.

bummer...so you removed the EA after getting everybodies interest and time...and now I bet you will sell it on your website when you rewrite it...

Thanks anyways...it was fun

ES

doshur:
I have rewritten this EA.

Had remove all filters, using purely moving average cross over and macd + 2 time frame analysis

will post the results soon. need sponsorship for VPS to carry out forward testing.
Reason: