Range Trading

Good day all,

This is my first thread and I'm glad to be here.

I am currently working on a few range trading ideas and since there seems to be no thread dedicated to this kind of trading, I thought it was important to start one.

One of the principals I follow for trading is diversity. Having already several trend following strategy and counter-trend strategies( shorter time-frame trend following), I figured it important to diversify even more by developing a few range trading strategies. If we can develop one profitable one out of all trials, that would be great.

Anyone has a range trading idea ? Dont hesitate to share on this thread ! Happy trading everyone !

See you all soon !

Leo

Heres my first stategy. The setup doesn't happen often, but the idea is to have other strategies to compliment this one, so theres no need for it to occur very often. The importance is that the success rate is high enough.

It is quite simple.

These are the indicators you will need :

89 SMA

445 EMA

Keltner Channels 22

Now, wait till the 89 and 445 are tangled in the Keltner Channels.

Once they are, wait till a candle that was or is completely out of keltner (OKC: where a candles high and low dont touch the keltner) comes back toward keltner.

Then, when price touches keltner's outer band, GET IN.

TP Take Profit is other end of keltner Channel

SL stop loss has yet to be determined.

For now, I suggest putting a stoploss with equivalence of pips that are to be gained if TP is reached. Example if other end is 20 pips from entry, then stoploss will be 20 pips.

VERY IMPORTANT : if price moves slowly and keltner moves, TP will change according to the KC....

Perhaps a SL based on a closed candle closing above last high (if were selling) would be better. That is to be determined.

**** if keltner is too narrow, TP could be at the closing of the candle which breaks out of outer keltner band. Now, how do you determine if keltner is too narrow, that could be calculated perhaps with ATR.

Attached is an example of trade

Im looking forward to hearing your ideas and comments.

leo

Heres an example where we have 5 entries : 3 go straight to TP and 2 get stopped out. But notice how the last can be avoided, it comes after a significant double bottom.

IMPORTANT: notice how the 2 losses are OKC prior to trigger but stay near the keltner band. It seems that the farther away the price is from the KC, when OKC, the better it moves within it to the other end once KC is touched again (the trigger)

Heres a more recent example with the CAD.

Notice how the TP could be larger. I suggest to not be tempted just yet to widen TP. I have seen almost 100 of these signals and very often it hits the TP(other outer band) and reverses...

Perhaps in some conditions we could widen TP, if for example : at time of OKC prior to trigger there is double kC BO (break-out) like its the case in this example ( where one cdl breaks out of KC and another cdl breaks out of this last cdl)

I hope to get some feed back. I havent looked at these signals for 2007 and 2008, so if anyones sees the potential, come and help me with the backtesting ! and well figure out when to stay out, and better TP and SL

OH there is actually 2 trades on this chart and both go straight to TP

an EA shouldnt be to hard for this I think. Any experts here willing to enlighten me on what is possible ?

Good trading !

Files:
cadexample.gif  70 kb

leo1452:
Here we have a bad one. But we get out at about BE (breakeven) Notice how the keltner TP band moved. You have to get out when TP is reached, even if its only 1 pip!

which one? (shouldn't bars be completely out of channel)?

p.s.thnks 4 shring your ideas, Leo

pps there are diff KChannels (ema,sma based...) - could you please, post one you using (and for less mess - templete : ))))) ? thankyou

Here we have a bad one. But we get out at about BE (breakeven)

Notice how the keltner TP band moved. You have to get out when TP is reached, even if its only 1 pip!

Files:
betrade.gif  86 kb

Heres another example of 2 signals, first a sell, which has a relatively small profit and then a stronger Buy.

Files:
sellandbuy.gif  58 kb

Hi fxbs, thanks for your reply. I edited the graph, I put arrows so you see where you get in and out. As you see, the candles are completely out of KC before the trigger happens. Also, I just noticed its on a weekend so I wouldnt get in anyhow. It is still a good example of what could happen.

here is the keltner channel I use with a simple template

Leo

Files:

hi,Leo

thanks 4 details

just in case (who using other versions of KC - settings, analog to used in Keltner Channels.ex4 (2.8 KB) :

MAperiod=22;

MAmode=0; //Basic-Sma

periodATR=22;//Average True Range period

k(atr)Multiplier=1.0;

89/445 inside kc - looks like pretty rare

---

sometimes does that:

Notice how the SMA has gone through both sides of the keltner and how the candle out of KC at time of signal is a TRUE BO. Remember, only one of these 2 conditions need to be met. Since both are met here, signal is stronger.

Reason: