Not ranging markets?

Hi there,

I have decided to post this thread, since I believe to be a very important question that all of us want to see answered.

Many of us have already tested manual and/or automatic strategies, and the functionality of all of them differ on ranging/trending and not ranging/flat markets.

I think if we share our experiences, perhaps we will be helping each other on finding a better way to trade forex.

Ok! The question is, how do you (try to) detect this kinds of markets?

Regards

Paulo

I forgot to post the way I try to detect not ranging markets... :0)

First of all, I try not to trade before londong open. In fact, after london session open, I always wait a while and work based on Fibonacci Pivots/Suport/Resistances...

The chart below, shows a not ranging market.

In this case on a 30MIN timeframe, I have a PIVOT line on 1.2851. If you notice on not ranging markets, the price tends to walk through this line, and since we no not have a clear view of the price direction, it is too risky to open trades on this point.

Usually, I prefer to wait for the price to go through resistance/suport to decide to open or not a trade.

Also, I use a very important tool, that is "correlation" between currency pairs. And the correlation usually helps me to detect safest opotunities o enter the market.

Regards

Paulo

Reason: