How do you determine order close reasons?

Hi,

I have seen many sources that use strings put into order comment as method to learn close reason. Like "[TP]" or "[SL]" or even "expiration".

My issue with this is that I not think is reliable. I have read that is MT tester that does this. In real life trading there must be some way to decide on TP,SL or expiration reasons, yes?

I appreciate that just because expiration time may be given it does not follow that orderclosetime will be same. (maybe have +/- comparison tolerance in seconds?)

Again, if orderprofit is < 0.0 then would not it be enough to think along the lines of SL (is used) event?

Same also if orderprofit is > 0.0 then would not it be likely that TP (if used) event?

Or maybe is enough to just use orderprofit to make decisions as to close reason...

am going around in circles lately over this, would be great to hear EA traders views

Thank you

ukt:
Hi,

I have seen many sources that use strings put into order comment as method to learn close reason. Like "[TP]" or "[SL]" or even "expiration".

My issue with this is that I not think is reliable. I have read that is MT tester that does this. In real life trading there must be some way to decide on TP,SL or expiration reasons, yes?

I appreciate that just because expiration time may be given it does not follow that orderclosetime will be same. (maybe have +/- comparison tolerance in seconds?)

Again, if orderprofit is < 0.0 then would not it be enough to think along the lines of SL (is used) event?

Same also if orderprofit is > 0.0 then would not it be likely that TP (if used) event?

Or maybe is enough to just use orderprofit to make decisions as to close reason...

am going around in circles lately over this, would be great to hear EA traders views

Thank you

You can check the closing by SL or TP doing a comparaison between OrderClosePrice(), OrderStopLoss(), and OrderTakeProfit().

That is true and perhaps is closest can get.

Although, it seems very approximate way to make decisions. Must be many times close price may not be that near to TP or SL, yes?

Same goes for close time and expiration time.

Thank you.

ukt:
That is true and perhaps is closest can get.

Although, it seems very approximate way to make decisions. Must be many times close price may not be that near to TP or SL, yes?

Same goes for close time and expiration time.

Thank you.

With brockers who guarantee the stop orders, I always see that the close price is exactly the SL or TP. About expiration time, I do not know.

Michel:
With brockers who guarantee the stop orders, I always see that the close price is exactly the SL or TP. About expiration time, I do not know.

That sounds promising! Could you tell me brokers names? especially if they use MT too.

Would really appreciate that because besides my above issues which you have generously given suggestions, I am looking for MT using brokers so that I can autotrade with knowledge that they are fair and honest about EAs trades.

I heard that FXCM has gone to Non Dealing Desk execution and use MT too, but not really 'know' about FXCM or NDD and if beneficial for manual/auto/bothTypes trading.

If this not offtopic way too much would be great to hear what you say.

Thanks

Mig, for example, but you should read a little bit the big thread about the brokers, they have all some avantages ant many inconvenients...

Ok Michel - thanks for pointer to thread! (oops, should've seen that)

yes, I bet the plus's are far outweighed by the minus's - is minefield!

One final ?, do you EA autotrade? I'm wondering if really are many that do because is for sure a bad news world if one's EA not 110% bulletproof. Maybe only answer to that is have very small deposit so if the worst happens, will not be fatal to trading career.

Regards

Reason: