Hardware Question

Hi, I have a few PC running several MT instances on demo accounts, each MT upload by FTP their Live statement to a web Server installed in the local network to easy check the status of each account and to evaluate the performance of each EA/settings.

Each PC have 2 GB of ram and they run smooth with up to 19 instances of Metatrader.

The problem is I can't start more than 19 MT at the same time, I can't find why, They simply don't start when there is already 19 working.

I want to know if the limit is on Windows XP or in Metatrader

I have a Dual Xeon 3.0 Ghz server with 12 GB of ram without hard drives laying around and I was thinking on using it to do the same function but I need to know if I will be able to run more than 19 instances of MT before buy the SCSI Hard drives it need and spend time to bring it to operation.

I tried to run multiple MT terminals under XP and Vista.

XP maximum is 19.

Vista maximum is 14.

More of them will not start.

I tried to run multiple MT terminals under XP and Vista.

XP maximum is 19.

Vista maximum is 14.

More of them will not start.

Thanks Tom, good to know that. It mean that the limit is imposed with Windows and not MT

Maybe Windows Server 2003 don't have those limits, I think I can get windows 2003 Datacenter edition from a friend working in a Datacenter to do some testing but anyway I will have to buy the Hard drives to install it.

Anyone can confirm the existence of limits on Windows server 2003 ?

Thanks for any help.

Just curious how I open more than one MT4 with the same broker? like how do I get two FXDD platforms working on the same PC? when I click on the icon again it just pops up the one I already have running and not another instance ??

Thanks

matrixebiz:
Just curious how I open more than one MT4 with the same broker? like how do I get two FXDD platforms working on the same PC? when I click on the icon again it just pops up the one I already have running and not another instance ?? Thanks

Run multiple installations changing MT destination folder name each time like FXDD Meta Trader 4_1, FXDD Meta Trader 4_2, FXDD Meta Trader 4_3, .......Create separate desktop shortcut with different name to each terminal.exe.

Tom is right, but you don't need to run multiple installations, you simple copy and paste all the MT folder of one installation to another location and create a new shortcut and that's all.

MT don't need a windows installation to run.

I can copy the entire directory of 19 MT to another PC and start running all the MT instances in seconds, without doing any installation.

Cool trick I'm getting sick of a few brokers like V4X and such. and not sure why some brokers start at different times. I have a few that start trading at 6PM EST and other that don't start trading until 8PM EST. I feel like I'm missing good trades on Sunday because of the late start.

project1972:
Hi, I have a few PC running several MT instances on demo accounts, each MT upload by FTP their Live statement to a web Server installed in the local network to easy check the status of each account and to evaluate the performance of each EA/settings.

Each PC have 2 GB of ram and they run smooth with up to 19 instances of Metatrader.

The problem is I can't start more than 19 MT at the same time, I can't find why, They simply don't start when there is already 19 working.

I want to know if the limit is on Windows XP or in Metatrader

I have a Dual Xeon 3.0 Ghz server with 12 GB of ram without hard drives laying around and I was thinking on using it to do the same function but I need to know if I will be able to run more than 19 instances of MT before buy the SCSI Hard drives it need and spend time to bring it to operation.

Hi project1972,

I realize this reply is very late, but I came across your question in a search and thought this info might be helpful:

I am a HUGE fan of VMware products, and in my head I'm currently designing how I will setup a legion of EA's trading inside a dedicated private server that I will locate in a professional datacenter (this gives you guaranteed electricity, huge bandwidth pipeline and physical monitoring). On that server(s) I will first run VMware and within that multiple instances of Windows with running EAs.

So in this design, there are no longer any software limitations. You are limited only by your hardware design. Typically you would install as much RAM as you could afford, and then use the VMware hypervisor to encapsulate multiple virtual Windows instances, of which each (apparently) could be running up to 19 Metatraders.

Here is a link to the free VMware server products, and feel free to contact me if you have questions. I'm a VMware user for over 5 years, although not yet for tradebots.

VMware Server, Virtual Server Consolidation, Free Virtualization - VMware

::dusktrader

Reason: