Phoenix - Development+Suggestions - MQ4 in Post#1 - page 25

Rouge Code

m6m6:
I am confussed. I uploaded 5.7.2a on the two pairs I am testing: USDCHF and GBPUSD in mode 1 and 3. I have smiles on al of them. None are taking trades.

Do we need to go change settings in the code ?

Did we test 5.7.1 with wrong settings ?

I also started a long back test with 5.7.2a. that is not generating anything yet.

Thank you in advance for clarifying this issue !

I am too busy to follow all the threads and breaking news every day. I can't answer your question on "Did we test 5.7.1 with wrong settings ?" as far as the team effort on Phoenix goes. Hence I suggested. "Do as you see fit."

Each indicator has been invented and designed to work a certain way. An easy example"

20 day MVA and a 50 day MVA. When the 20 day crosses the 50 day going up you buy right. Lets optimize the MVAs.

MVA that is fast in this case will be optimized for 10 to 40 steps of 10 and the slower MVA will be optimized from 20 to 50 in steps of ten. Here is the table.

Fast SLOW

10 20

10 30

10 40

10 50

20 20 - bad

20 30

20 40

20 50

30 20 - bad2

30 30 - bad

30 40

30 50

40 20 - bad2

40 30 - bad2

40 40 - bad

40 50

So the code was changed to ignore all the bad settings. For my explanation lets ignore the ones where the fast and slow are the same. For settings that I labeled bad2 above. Instead of buying when the fast goes up and crosses the slow, you end up selling.

Indicator 4 is a little more complicated than an MVA, and I am unfamiliar with it, but it turns out the for 4 currencies, people found that contrarian settings produced the best result.

My personal opinion is this. If the contrarian settings are better, then they should be used.

You read Daraknors advice, don't use 5.7.2a for trading. If you want to proceed contrary to Daraknors suggestion. I will enable you to do that with a version I will label. 5.7.2.W - Wacky. Again: Do as you see fit. It's unofficial code.

I have post a version that allows wacky settings for all currencies, except EURJPY and USDJPY. If Daraknor, wants to go along with this version then he will release it in the usual location. This is currently rouge code.

m6m6

For Mode 1, preferred settings. I back tested.

• 5.7.2a. It gave no trades for USDCHF and GBPUSD.
  • 5.7.2.W The rouge version trades the currencies. One loses and one gains.

Daraknor

Tested USDJPY - It ignored wacky settings.

Files:

Pcontour:
See the last post under FAQ Pcontour

Thank you for pointing me to the "How To" material. Great documents. I will read them and start using them. I presume that I will understand witch indicators are used inside the code and what they were design for later on.

Fresh New Optimization and User Guides 5.7.2a

m6m6:
I have lots of time and CPU available but no clear understanding of what to do yet. I will try to resume, let me know if I am wrong. In 5.7.2a, we need to first optimize settings in signal 1 to 5, then we will move on to another set of settings, etc. I don't know witch indicators are used inside the code, what they were design for and what are the logical ranges (Start, Step, Stop) for optimization. If you can point me in the right direction, I will do the work. I have 2 dual core computers available at the moment.

See the last post under FAQ

Pcontour

in the optimization thread i posted a bunch of notes, some explanations, etc.

I also went through selecting settings, pruning some settings, etc.

Has anyone consider adding some sort of hedge feature? Since it's a counter trend EA, you could always open a second trade in the opposite direction. Typically the hedged trade will gain profit, then should eventually return back when the trend reverses. You could always watch it to pull in a few pips or just to break even. It would also bring a little protection.

Just a thought...

-Sean

Phoenix Development

We have not heard anything from Daraknor or Hendrick for quite some time. Are both of them still involved with Phoenix? If not, who is handling development? Phoenix certainly does not appear to be ready for prime time yet.

autumnleaves:
We have not heard anything from Daraknor or Hendrick for quite some time. Are both of them still involved with Phoenix? If not, who is handling development? Phoenix certainly does not appear to be ready for prime time yet.

I know that Daraknor is or was very sick. He is discrete about it but I think he will soon be back.

check your code !!!!

i don't know if i am wrong here - and if yes, please correct me immediately...

this i have found in verion 5.7.0:

double OsMABar2=iOsMA(NULL,0,OSMASlow,OSMAFast,OSMASignal,PRICE_CLOSE,2);

double OsMABar1=iOsMA(NULL,0,OSMASlow,OSMAFast,OSMASignal,PRICE_CLOSE,1);

[/CODE]

the MT4 manual defines the iOSMA function as:

[CODE]double iOsMA( string symbol, int timeframe, int fast_ema_period, int slow_ema_period, int signal_period, int applied_price, int shift)

the parameters for OSMAFast and OSMASlow are switched.

which is correct ???

AZBOfin

AZBOfin:
i don't know if i am wrong here - and if yes, please correct me immediately...

this i have found in verion 5.7.0:

double OsMABar2=iOsMA(NULL,0,OSMASlow,OSMAFast,OSMASignal,PRICE_CLOSE,2);

double OsMABar1=iOsMA(NULL,0,OSMASlow,OSMAFast,OSMASignal,PRICE_CLOSE,1);

[/CODE]

the MT4 manual defines the iOSMA function as:

[CODE]double iOsMA( string symbol, int timeframe, int fast_ema_period, int slow_ema_period, int signal_period, int applied_price, int shift)

the parameters for OSMAFast and OSMASlow are switched.

which is correct ???

AZBOfin

Yes it's switch since 5.7.0. But it's only parameter. the value still same with before.

I'm still around, I was very sick for a week and have been visiting the doctor a lot. I'm a brittle diabetic so things hit me harder than I would like. I have been checking in and seeing that you guys are supporting each other, that is very good to see.

AdamDuritz99, Hedging features, including cross currency hedging, were considered but testing found they didn't do much for us. The only consistent winners I see from hedging are the brokers. They earn twice as much for 0 risk. You risk twice as much, pay twice as much, and have a hard time exiting both trades at a profit. Plus it takes up margin. Quite a few people are down on hedging in general, and I'm one of them. If someone has a very specific idea on how to hedge well, I will listen and test, listen and test until I understand the concept and its strengths plus shortcomings. I just did this with a Martingale variation using trailing stops - there needs to be a statistical foundation on why we should enter the second trade, or we just loose money based on brokers fees (same as hedging, with margins as an added complication with some brokers.)

When I test with multiple trades, I found that many of the trades were placed in a hedging formation, but the entry/exit were different. You can end up with 6 trades all pointed the same direction, or 3 buy 3 sell. In many cases, 5 of the 6 trades would exit at a profit. The trick isn't 'hedging' as much as 'good signal'.

I realize the settings upset was rather hard to swallow in 5.7.2, but the reason for doing this is to get better settings, get better signals. Settings found with 5.7.2 can still work with 5.7.0, but not the other way around. In an exhaustive search using the sample 'optimization test bed', 5.7.2 will spend 1/3 of the time to get the same or better settings. Fast should be faster than slow. (Otherwise you trade divergence not convergence, and Phoenix looks for convergence.)

Phoenix 6 took a little bit of a back burner due to my illness and some of my paying work. When I recovered a bit, I was weeks behind on my contract work and needed to focus exclusively on it. I have been working on a common template for different EA styles, and some of the code was intended to replace specific features in Phoenix 5. (Like the dynamic Mode 3 code.)

I'm glad we still have a stable version of Phoenix, now we need settings. I wrote a few manuals, I saw a few manuals. I look forward to sharing our results.

Reason: