XP Moving Average! - page 3

If that is true, this then becomes a truly worthless indicator, and codguru could have saved us a lot of time by telling us this indicator rewrites history. I really hate indicators that do that!

profitmaker:
Watch a 1 min. chart for a while - it repaints up to 2 bars back!

Simba, did you see the post that this indicator does indeed rewrite history?

SIMBA:
Hi Tragapips and Mikejody

1-TRAGAPIPS,I have attached a copy of T3.mq4 and T3MA.mq4,hope they solve your problem,just save them in "experts>>indicators" then compile them and you should be set and ready to work with XPMA.Please see the attachment.

2-MIKEJODY:I do not know exactly,but have tried this XPMA indicator in lower timefranes-to see if it repaints or not- and I do not think it repaints the past.I think it is a very accurate trend filter for the 1h/4h timeframes.Anyway Codersguru is the person that can best answer your query.

Best Regards.

SIMBA

Question to Codersguru

Codersguru,

Did you read the posts in this thread? If so, did you notice that there was extensive backtesting going on? I am sure you did, because you answered a question or two on this thread right during the time we stated we were backtesting.

And did you notice my posts asking you when the indicator paints?

Your answer was to simply give us the code, not answer the question.

And if you did notice that we were backtesting, did you not have any desire to warn us that backtesting with your indicator is useless because it repaints the past?

If you did indeed know that your indicator repaints the past, what you have done here will certainly make you no friend of traders. It is harmful to provide an indicator, release it to us, not answer the question of when the bar paint, allowing us to continue with our hours and hours of backtesting knowing all our results were worthless.

If I am wrong and you were not aware that your indicator repaints the past, or if you were simply too busy to answer our questions about when the indicator paints, or if you are unable to speak (and write) English, then I will apologize to you.

But as for now, you have done us a real disservice by your silence on when the bar paints.

Open Warning to All!

Greetings everyone,

I can now confirm that this indicator rewrites up to 2 bars in history, thereby making it completely worthless to me. You may be able to use an indicator that tells you to "get in" or "get out" in past bars, while you are still in, but I cannot.

Warning: this indicator repaints the past, and is useless in backtesting.

mikejody

I have yet to find an indicator where the prior bars does not repaint. If you know of any that actually does not repaint, please let me know since repainting of bars have caused me problems in live trading.

Thanks,

ET

mikejody:
Simba, did you see the post that this indicator does indeed rewrite history?

Hi Mikejody,

I just saw your post a few minutes ago.I checked for 1 min TF with very short settings of 5,2,0,0.8 to see if it repainted and it did.I was as surprised as you from this fact.

It seems to me that you spent a lot of time on this indicator and that you are frustrated by it.I spent several hours making a MULTIPLE TIME FRAME VERSION in histogram form(Please see attached picture "Be like water my friend.." on bottom)because I thought this had potential(and I am not a programmer,just modified several MTF indicators until I got the right one by trial and error) and now I do not know what to think.I have attached it as MTF xpmatrend.ex4,if you want to use/check it fel fre to do so,if you want the samelook use with lower limit 0.45 ,higher limit 0.55,it seems to work but now I am not so confident.

I hate repainting indicators for the false signals they give,on the other side I think that we have to take into account:

1-REPAINTING:It does not seems to be coded to repaint intentionally, but-in my non programmer opinion- this is a byproduct of the code used in calculating the xpma,Ithink that the longest the period we use(ex:34 periods)the less effect it has on timing of entries/exits.This can be answered by either Codersguru or any other programmer.SOMETHING THAT INTENTIONALLY REPAINTS DOESNOT LEAVE THE KIND OF "COLOUR GAPS "WE CAN SEE IN THE ATTACHED PICTURES.

2-CODERSGURU:I do not know him personally,but from the posts he has written I have the feeling that he is not the kind of person to voluntarily mislead others.My opinion of him,and I think it is shared by the vast majority of forum members,is that he is an exceptional programmer that shares most of his work to help the community.So,I would like to hear his explanation about this repainting before forming any fixed opinion about this matter,it coul have ben a code mistake,etc,etc..

Best Regards.

SIMBA

Files:

Hi Simba,

Yes, I understand all that you've written here, and appreciate your indicator.

I do not mean to accuse Codersguru of anything malicious, but at the very least he should be issuing a warning with his indicator that says, "Warning: this indicator changes past bars, and is worthless for backtesting, and caution must be exercised when trading live."

Issuing that caution would have saved us many hours of backtesting, and in reality I would not trade an indicator like this live either.

SIMBA:
Hi Mikejody,

I just saw your post a few minutes ago.I checked for 1 min TF with very short settings of 5,2,0,0.8 to see if it repainted and it did.I was as surprised as you from this fact.

It seems to me that you spent a lot of time on this indicator and that you are frustrated by it.I spent several hours making a MULTIPLE TIME FRAME VERSION in histogram form(Please see attached picture "Be like water my friend.." on bottom)because I thought this had potential(and I am not a programmer,just modified several MTF indicators until I got the right one by trial and error) and now I do not know what to think.I have attached it as MTF xpmatrend.ex4,if you want to use/check it fel fre to do so,if you want the samelook use with lower limit 0.45 ,higher limit 0.55,it seems to work but now I am not so confident.

I hate repainting indicators for the false signals they give,on the other side I think that we have to take into account:

1-REPAINTING:It does not seems to be coded to repaint intentionally, but-in my non programmer opinion- this is a byproduct of the code used in calculating the xpma,Ithink that the longest the period we use(ex:34 periods)the less effect it has on timing of entries/exits.This can be answered by either Codersguru or any other programmer.SOMETHING THAT INTENTIONALLY REPAINTS DOESNOT LEAVE THE KIND OF "COLOUR GAPS "WE CAN SEE IN THE ATTACHED PICTURES.

2-CODERSGURU:I do not know him personally,but from the posts he has written I have the feeling that he is not the kind of person to voluntarily mislead others.My opinion of him,and I think it is shared by the vast majority of forum members,is that he is an exceptional programmer that shares most of his work to help the community.So,I would like to hear his explanation about this repainting before forming any fixed opinion about this matter,it coul have ben a code mistake,etc,etc..

Best Regards.

SIMBA

Xp Moving Average = Colored Moving Average!

Hi there!

1- I don't know what's going on! I'm sharing all of my works and didn't cheat one of you before! Any member here denies that???

2- Xp moving average is Colored Moving Average no less no more! So, if the moving averages indicators repaint the past (I'm sure they are not) then xpMA repaints the past.

The logic of coloring is very simple:

1- If the previous bar value is Greaterthan the current bar value color the moving average is Green.2- If the previous bar value is Lesserthan the current bar value color the moving average is Red.3-If the previous bar value is Equal tothe current bar value color the moving average is Yellow.Repainting the past or repainting the future:

I want to mention another thing here. Repainting the past means repainting the future for the history!I mean, I can write an indicator that looks for the next bar value which it exist only in the past (because in the current bar there's no next bar yet) That's the meaning of repainting the past I think!

Well, The answer is: XP Moving Average does not repaint the past!

Hi all,

i would agree with CodersGuru,he never cheated here,he made mql4 programming lessons etc.

The code of this indicator is exactly as he says,moving average and it is not wrote to reapint the past.

Maybe we should try to see how it performs on higher time frames like 4 hours in live testing.Maybe mt4 have some problems with calculating our indicators and maybe it is only related to small time frames.

I dont see any other reason why it should repaint from what i know about mql4 (not much0).

for(int shift=limit; shift>=0; shift--)

{

UpBuffer[shift] = buffer[shift];

DownBuffer[shift] = buffer[shift];

Buffer3[shift] = buffer[shift];

}

for(shift=limit; shift>=0; shift--)

{

if (buffer[shift+1]>buffer[shift])

{

UpBuffer[shift+1] = EMPTY_VALUE;

//Buffer3 = EMPTY_VALUE;

}

else if (buffer[shift+1]<buffer[shift] )

{

DownBuffer[shift+1] = EMPTY_VALUE;

//Buffer3 = EMPTY_VALUE;

}

else

{

UpBuffer[shift+1] = CLR_NONE;

DownBuffer[shift+1] = CLR_NONE;

}

}

return(0);

only thing what is suspitios to me here is that 'shift';maybe it is the reason for repainting,cant we use it without shift ? like bar[1] bar[0] sorry but it is out of my mql4 knowledg.

Reason: