Indicator for sideways market

Hi is there any indicator which can tell us when the market is moving sideways and when is it trending?

It might sound a little silly coz no one can predict the market's nature but there must be someway right

thnx

kev

there may not be an indicator that i know of, but if you were inputing it directly into an ea it would look something like this

double /*your variable name*/ iHigh(NULL,0,10);

double /*your second variable name*/ iLow(NULL,0,10)[/php]

the "NULL,0" means current timeframe and currency pair.

the last 10 means how many bars back you look to find the high.

the low is the same as the high, only flipped.

now how to detect sideways movement

under your global variables, put

extern double /*whatever you want to call it*/ = 15;

for this, i would recomend calling it something that reminds you it is the distance between the high and the low.

now the last step

put this under your either open or close logics as you wish

[php]if (/*your high's name*/ - /*your low's name*/ <= /*your global variable's name) {whatever you want to do with it}*/;

it should work

Hi eaglehawk,

But I dont really know how to work with EA's

Can you plz clarify

Also, if any1 has an indicator tht points out the start/end of a sideways market, plz share it

kev

you count from 1-10

or

only picking up the 10th bar

???

kevmcfoster:
Hi eaglehawk,

But I dont really know how to work with EA's

Can you plz clarify

Also, if any1 has an indicator tht points out the start/end of a sideways market, plz share it

kev

If sideways means low volatily dan trending means high volatily then this indicator may help. I found it on this forum, but somehow I can't find the thread. Don't ask for mq4 file, 'coz I don't have it.

Files:

hi devil

thnx for the indicator. do u knw how to use it? can u help

kev

kevmcfoster:
hi devil

thnx for the indicator. do u knw how to use it? can u help

kev

I've just found the thread, you can read the whole pages here https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/general

note : the author, Raff, was talking about time limitation, so maybe this indicator will expire someday, I don't know when.

Reason: