Too many MT4 platforms limitation!?!?

I am trying to run about 30 mt4 platforms on the same pc but I can't for some weird reason.I have enough RAM...I seperate each installation into different folders...

I thought there was something wrong with my windows xp so I tried to the same setup on another PC with the same results.

Here is what happens: after the 19 or 20 mt4 instances, the next one won't boot up...I can't seem to open a simple folder or software after that too.

Anyone knows what is happening? is there a way around the problem?

Thanks.

Sada

I encounter a windows limitation not specific to metatrader but specific to some kind of shared windows resources (perhaps windows handles) that XP will run out before running out of RAM.

I too have the same problem, enough RAM but inability to run more than a certain amount of MT4 apps.

The # of MT4 apps (for me) depends not on a specific number of installs running but rather on the number of windows opened. I mean I probably could run 20 or 30 or more if I only had one chart (window) open in each of the MT4 installs.

But if you have 10 or 20 charts open in each MT4 install, probably you won't be able to open the same # of MT4 installs as you would if you only had 1 chart open in each.

Reason I say this limit seems to be XP and not MT4 specific (i.e. no fault of the MT4 programmers) is that I had this problem long before ever running MT4 and also it occured on another computer.

That computer also had plenty of RAM but when I tried to open too many IE windows (hundreds) it would cause the same problem.

The problem is that new apps that are opened are not able to paint themselves completely (e.g. the toolbars might not fully show) and also sometimes you can't open new dialogs from within existing apps.

You know you have the same problem I have if you have problems opening more windows explorer windows (pressing START-E does nothing, or only partially opens an explorer window that doesn't work properly)

If you have any extra apps running or tray apps running then closing them will free up some resources and you may be able to open another MT4 app or 2.

Of course there may be other reasons for your problem, but this is the one I run up against on my computers.

ycomp:
I encounter a windows limitation not specific to metatrader but specific to some kind of shared windows resources (perhaps windows handles) that XP will run out before running out of RAM.

I too have the same problem, enough RAM but inability to run more than a certain amount of MT4 apps.

The # of MT4 apps (for me) depends not on a specific number of installs running but rather on the number of windows opened. I mean I probably could run 20 or 30 or more if I only had one chart (window) open in each of the MT4 installs.

But if you have 10 or 20 charts open in each MT4 install, probably you won't be able to open the same # of MT4 installs as you would if you only had 1 chart open in each.

Reason I say this limit seems to be XP and not MT4 specific (i.e. no fault of the MT4 programmers) is that I had this problem long before ever running MT4 and also it occured on another computer.

That computer also had plenty of RAM but when I tried to open too many IE windows (hundreds) it would cause the same problem.

The problem is that new apps that are opened are not able to paint themselves completely (e.g. the toolbars might not fully show) and also sometimes you can't open new dialogs from within existing apps.

You know you have the same problem I have if you have problems opening more windows explorer windows (pressing START-E does nothing, or only partially opens an explorer window that doesn't work properly)

If you have any extra apps running or tray apps running then closing them will free up some resources and you may be able to open another MT4 app or 2.

Of course there may be other reasons for your problem, but this is the one I run up against on my computers.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have the same problems you describe above and I notice it's a problem coming from windows XP.

Is there no fix to allow more "windows"to open? I can't believe there is no way around this little problem...

when I asked on this forum, nobody knew how to fix it. I tried a quick google search for the general windows xp problem but as usual I wasn't sure the exact keywords to use to narrow down the results properly.

Since it is a winxp problem, there must be discussion about it somewhere but I couldn't find it. But I didn't search much at all. If you find the answer, let me know.

You could try posting on www.experts-exchange.com . That place is amazing, people who know what they are talking about will answer your questions in so much detail. The only problem is it is a pay site but I think initially you can ask a few questions for free.

I don't know why you need more that 10 MT sessions open at one time.

But windows XP can allocate more than 4gb of memory through it's 32bit kernal. that's were the problem is even if you have that much ram.

If you realy need to run that many concurrent sessions of MT, then consider Windows xp 64bit. Yes it does work in win xp 64bit edition & provided you have enough physical memory 8gb or 16gb this should be heaps of ram to to run as many sessions as possible before the windows kernal limitation or exceeded & exhasted physical ram.

I can run 3 concurrent instances before I run out of 1gb of physical memory, but I also have many other services running MS.net, VMware, sessions open which consume about 384 - 512mb of physical memory.

Jorgka

consider Win xp 64bit to overcome memory limitations.

sorry, that was WINDOWS XP CANNOT ALLOCATE MORE THAN 4gb of RAM

This question was asked on metaquotes website and they confirmed that we can not allocate many MT platform in one pc because of Metatrader software.

jorga, one of my computers only has 512MB of physical RAM but is running 12 MT4 instances fine. my other computers have way more RAM. Usually MT4 doesn't need much RAM*, but it is some kind of windows resources (my guess is window handles) that there seems to be some stupidly low finite supply of (since I had the same problem before on other computers without even MT4 installed - but lots of apps running)

so I doubt 64bit windows will help much.

* I guess some experts and indicators might eat up way more RAM than others.

An application called VMware, or virtual machine, this can create multiple OS's on a single OS. therefore each OS runs completley independant from one another allowing multiple progams functioning on a single PC in different OS modes.

http://www.vmware.com/

however, need to be somewhat competant in using & understanding windows.

Or using a windows server product & running terminal services, by default you can run 3 sessions including the console before terminal services has to be registered for additional licences.

There are options out there but it can be complicated & will be for most.

Jorgka

"jorga, one of my computers only has 512MB of physical RAM but is running 12 MT4 instances fine. my other computers have way more RAM. Usually MT4 doesn't need much RAM*, but it is some kind of windows resources (my guess is window handles) that there seems to be some stupidly low finite supply of (since I had the same problem before on other computers without even MT4 installed - but lots of apps running)

so I doubt 64bit windows will help much.

* I guess some experts and indicators might eat up way more RAM than others."

Yes it will vary from machine to machine as everyone computer is running different process in memory. Just depends what's on there.

Also people read into differntly as well, some can say 10 session running but that's also including page & physical ram, once you start running into paging, & write cache is enabled, also CPU load increases & windows becomes very unstable, not just on MT but everything.

Jorgka

yeah, sorry, wasn't thinking... I had assumed people running 10+ would be on dedicated (MT4) only computers. For using your computer for day to day work + 10 or more MT4 installs, at least 1 GB of real ram is needed. At least in my experience.

Reason: