Chart Updating Mechanism in Meta Trader ?

I assume that for meta trader, chart will be updated when the real time tick data is arrive. Maybe Meta trader keep write the rate information gathered from the tick in the binary text file to feedback to the chart.

However, if the Meta Trader terminal is shut down for many days and  the user opened the Meta Trader after several days, then there will be some missing historical price data between new tick and last old tick price ?

How does this gap is handled by Meta Trader terminal ?

Not always, but I occasionally find out some missing data in the chart and they do not fill the missing gap automatically making the indicator look quite horrible.

So I am very curious about the chart updating Mechanism in Meta Trader.

I think Meta Trader might be able to download archived historical data automatically  from time to tome but I assume this is probably time consuming and can slow down the Meta Trader and internet connection quite a lot.

Can anyone share their knowledge on the chart updating for mechanism for meta trader 4 ?

Kindest regards.

MT4 or MT5 ? 

Alain Verleyen:
MT4 or MT5 ? 
I am talking about meta trader 4.

Becuase there is option to download historical data just curoius how these options works together with MT4 chart update mechanism.

So when does it use arrived tick to store data or does it use archived historical data etc.

Just curious and interesting topics for me. :)

When you connect to the broker, the last 2K bars of the current timeframe will be replaced, and all new ticks added.

whroeder1:
When you connect to the broker, the last 2K bars of the current timeframe will be replaced, and all new ticks added.
Wow brilliant that you have some knowledge. 

So the last 2000 bars replacement will be done by downloading archived history file from broker or from mql5.com history server ?

So what happen when we have downlaoded 20 years of history file from mql5.com history center then this history file will be replaced with 2000 bars ?

Young Ho Seo:

So the last 2000 bars replacement will be done by downloading archived history file from broker or from mql5.com history server ?

So what happen when we have downlaoded 20 years of history file from mql5.com history center then this history file will be replaced with 2000 bars ?
The last 2K bars, from the broker, will be added to history, replacing bars with the same time stamps (if any.)
Same thing on a reconnection, (airplane mode off, wait for no connection, airplane mode off,) the sudden network count increase in the bottom right.

whroeder1:
The last 2K bars, from the broker, will be added to history, replacing bars with the same time stamps (if any.)
Same thing on a reconnection, (airplane mode off, wait for no connection, airplane mode off,) the sudden network count increase in the bottom right.
Great. I am seeing potential problem with this approach and i can explain why there were some sudden gaps in chart sometimes in the past.

For example if the historical data from 1 jan 1999 to 1 jan 2016 was downlaoded on 1 jan 2016.

Then he did not use meta trader long enough so when he opened the meta trader and 2000 bars are replaced, the first bar of 2000 bars only goes back to say 1 march 2016.

In this case we will have two month of data gap from 1 jan 2016 to 1 march 2016.

Hope my logic is clear to everyone.

Young Ho Seo: In this case we will have two month of data gap from 1 jan 2016 to 1 march 2016.
  1. Agree.
  2. Since you have history, you can update all available history from the broker by simply right click -> refresh.
  3. If you don't have any history, here's how you can get all available from the broker.
Reason: