Download MetaTrader 5

Object type needed, Does Generics work in MQL5???

To add comments, please log in or register
Find out the latest MQL5.community news!
Ernie Gunning
Ernie Gunning 2010.08.04 23:51 

I had the need to store different objects types (including value types) in one list or array. I struggled to do this in this c++ like language MQL5. How can I do this?

I needed something like this :

Object myObjects[10];
int point = 2;
string symbol = "Test";
myObject[0] = point;
myObject[1] = symbol;

This doesn't seem possible? My next alternative was to create a generic class...I'm afraid I might be hoping for the impossible? I don't see generics?

Luckily I managed to get past my problem but this was only because of my situation I'm in and I believe their might be people that want to do this??

Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Objects Constants / Object Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Objects Constants / Object Properties - Documentation on MQL5
Rashid Umarov
Admin
Rashid Umarov 2010.08.04 23:57  
See Classes of data it may help you.

Paul
Paul 2010.08.05 05:40  
ToolMaker:

I had the need to store different objects types (including value types) in one list or array. I struggled to do this in this c++ like language MQL5. How can I do this?

I needed something like this :

Object myObjects[10];
int point = 2;
string symbol = "Test";
myObject[0] = point;
myObject[1] = symbol;

This doesn't seem possible? My next alternative was to create a generic class...I'm afraid I might be hoping for the impossible? I don't see generics?

Luckily I managed to get past my problem but this was only because of my situation I'm in and I believe their might be people that want to do this??

You seem to be looking for a 'Variant' data type like in Visual Basic.  This doesn't exist in C++ or MQL5, nor the legacy 'union' data construct from C days.  But it would be possible to code up what you're looking for in MQL5 if you write a number of very simple classes derived from CObject, and a generic Object array class derived from CArrayObj.  

Ideally operator overloading would make the resultant code as clean as your sample, but MQL5 unfortunately doesn't support it at this stage.

Paul 

To add comments, please log in or register