Download MetaTrader 5

5008 wrong file handle (handle index is out of handle table)

To add comments, please log in or register
Store your source codes in MQL5 Storage. It is secure!
Peter Williams
Peter Williams 2016.03.30 16:13 

The code appears to executes OK ( i.e. reads details from file and My_Handle_line seems OK - 2) -but still generates the ERROR code 5008

My_Handle_Line  = FileOpen("Dashboard\\"+fname, FILE_CSV|FILE_READ, "|");          
                        Write_my_Error("80010A My_Handle_Line = "+DoubleToString(My_Handle_Line,0));  FileFlush(My_Handle);
//..........................................................................................................................
   if( My_Handle_Line > -1 ) 
   {  str1 = FileReadString(My_Handle_Line);          Write_my_Error("80010D Test");  FileFlush(My_Handle);

The following is from my own log file ~ but don't know how to resolve

>>>>>>>>>>>.... 80010A My_Handle_Line = 2 My_error: 5008 wrong file handle (handle index is out of handle table)

I don't get an error resulting from code below and str1 is read correctly

FileReadString(My_Handle_Line)

whroeder1
whroeder1 2016.03.30 17:54  
You open a file. Do you ever close the handle?
Peter Williams
Peter Williams 2016.03.31 08:01  
WHRoeder:
You open a file. Do you ever close the handle?

Yes I close files etc ...... found the problem ..... I used FILEFLUSH 0n the read file.

Didn't find the actual error message very helpful - perhaps just a pointer in the right direction

Thanks again - as always - for your speedy response

Ex Ovo Omnia
Ex Ovo Omnia 2016.03.31 09:18  
Demos:

hello there :)

I would like to ask about that line, if you do not mind. I can see that you are testing for the File Handle to be 0 or more; and here is my question: a file handle in MQL is a integer, as we all know. That integer presummably stores the address of the location of the file buffer (a pointer in C) - it may not be a label or something. So two things

a) Let us assume that this number  is the address in the hdd/ssd. Then i doubt it can be 0, as there is the OS anyway

b) If it is a "pointer" in a memory place, that serves as the start of the file buffer, then this place can not be 0: Windows will not let you write in the physical address 0 (NULL pointer is not accessible in Windows - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_page )

To conclude, i believe you can write if( My_Handle_Line > 0 ) 

best regards 

The MQL file handle is valid only for the current script and handles are numbered 1, 2, 3 etc., not related to anything you assume.
Demos Stogios
Demos Stogios 2016.03.31 11:43  
Ovo:
The MQL file handle is valid only for the current script and handles are numbered 1, 2, 3 etc., not related to anything you assume.

ok, after looking at the manual i realised that MQL likely indexes the handles that obtains (from Windows) as file handles and offers those indices as handles; or something in that line hehe -  ihave to have a look at Win32 API

A final remark, if numbering starts from 1 and not 0 then it should be My_Handle_Line > 0 and not -1 right ?

best regards 

whroeder1
whroeder1 2016.03.31 12:22  
Demos: if numbering starts from 1 and not 0 then it should be My_Handle_Line > 0 and not -1 right ?
Wrong. RTFM
  1. FileOpen - File Functions - MQL4 Reference states that on a error it returns INVALID_HANDLE (-1)
  2. No where does it states that valid handles starts at 1. (Same as ticket numbers)
Demos Stogios
Demos Stogios 2016.03.31 13:26  
WHRoeder:
Wrong. RTFM
  1. FileOpen - File Functions - MQL4 Reference states that on a error it returns INVALID_HANDLE (-1)
  2. No where does it states that valid handles starts at 1. (Same as ticket numbers)

Allright, i was looking somewhere else in the reference and did not see that one. Meanwhile, i was looking around the internet and found that one 

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20040302-00/?p=40443 

it says a thing or two about why CreateFile returns -1 in Windows API and not 0. Back OT, i printed the handle of the first file opened in a EA and guess what, it was number 1 :) So maybe fail code can be -1 or 0, depending on the function but handles likely start at 1 in MQL

Ex Ovo Omnia
Ex Ovo Omnia 2016.03.31 15:42  
Demos:

Allright, i was looking somewhere else in the reference and did not see that one. Meanwhile, i was looking around the internet and found that one 

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20040302-00/?p=40443 

it says a thing or two about why CreateFile returns -1 in Windows API and not 0. Back OT, i printed the handle of the first file opened in a EA and guess what, it was number 1 :) So maybe fail code can be -1 or 0, depending on the function but handles likely start at 1 in MQL 

Give up such effort, MQL has a constant INVALID_HANDLE, while windows have INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE, both substitute for -1.

Why would any coder look for another undocumented value like you? 
Peter Williams
Peter Williams 2016.03.31 16:04  
Ovo:

Give up such effort, MQL has a constant INVALID_HANDLE, while windows have INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE, both substitute for -1.

Why would any coder look for another undocumented value like you? 

Hi Guys

Didn't intend to start an argument but thanks both your comments

WHRoeder - thanks again

To add comments, please log in or register