Metaeditor newly created files not stored in proper directory

Using Metaeditor at FXCM (latest MT4 build). When one creates a new script, indicator, EA it gets placed in the MQL4 root directory instead of within the appropriate folder for Scripts, Indicators, Expert Advisors, etc. As such, the compiled program is not recognized within the Terminal. I have to manually move said program to the proper directory for it to appear within Termainal which is a chore. Is there a workaround for this? I didn't notice this behavior with prior implementations of MT4 Metaeditor I've used.

Sorry, but I doubt that. Are you sure that you have used the correct option of the new-field of your editor?

gooly:
Sorry, but I doubt that. Are you sure that you have used the correct option of the new-field of your editor?

What do you mean by "the correct option of the new-field of your editor"? Are you suggesting there's some setting I need to edit within MetaEditor?

If you're referring to the options for type of program that pops up in the MQL Wizard, then, as I've described, regardless of which option you select, ALL programs created get placed in the MQL4 root folder . 

Control in your editor and your terminal the data paths: File => Open Data Folder. Can it be a mismatch of  \portable and non-\portable mode?

If you edit a file that is not at its appropriate mt4-place it'll be compiled and saved where it is - not where you want it to be?

gooly:

Control in your editor and your terminal the data paths: File => Open Data Folder. Can it be a mismatch of  \portable and non-\portable mode?

If you edit a file that is not at its appropriate mt4-place it'll be compiled and saved where it is - not where you want it to be?

This doesn't make one bit of sense. Anyone else have any insight? My initial question and description of the problem was quite clear. Anyone using FXCM, MT4 and Metaeditor? When you create a new file in Metaeditor where does it get placed?

Metaeditor-file-save as...

and you will see.

(to folder of last installed mt4) 

billworld:
This doesn't make one bit of sense. Anyone else have any insight? My initial question and description of the problem was quite clear. Anyone using FXCM, MT4 and Metaeditor? When you create a new file in Metaeditor where does it get placed?

it depends what file were you creating!

I would use File => Open Data Folder.

I fyou just do file-save-as will open the folder of the actual file - what if it was from a different folder?

gooly:

I fyou just do file-save-as will open the folder of the actual file...

Please,first you need to chek and read than answer. Becouse it is flooding.

When you create a new file in Metaeditor where does it get placed?

@Bill Doerrfeld
Bill Doerrfeld:
Using Metaeditor at FXCM (latest MT4 build). When one creates a new script, indicator, EA it gets placed in the MQL4 root directory instead of within the appropriate folder for Scripts, Indicators, Expert Advisors, etc. As such, the compiled program is not recognized within the Terminal. I have to manually move said program to the proper directory for it to appear within Termainal which is a chore. Is there a workaround for this? I didn't notice this behavior with prior implementations of MT4 Metaeditor I've used.

Hi Bill,

I'm curious as to whether you ever got an answer to this issue. I have the same problem. I've installed MT4 countless times for at least 7 years now and never had the Metaeditor default folder be different from the MT4 terminal folder. I just installed this on a new Windows 10 installation.

Tim Black 

keyguy:
@Bill Doerrfeld

Hi Bill,

I'm curious as to whether you ever got an answer to this issue. I have the same problem. I've installed MT4 countless times for at least 7 years now and never had the Metaeditor default folder be different from the MT4 terminal folder. I just installed this on a new Windows 10 installation.

Tim Black 

It is like that since build 600 (for at least a couple of years)

Either use "/portable" switch when starting the terminal, or go to files->open data folder and then you can see where your "basic" folder is

Mladen Rakic:

It is like that since build 600 (for at least a couple of years)

February 2014. So almost 3 years.
Reason: