Download MetaTrader 5

Forcing a tick in a quiet market (or even on the weekend) possible?

To add comments, please log in or register
mar
mar  

Hi forum,

when I do some analysis on the weekend and I need a tick for an indicator to update some objects or whatever, I just open the indicator list and close it. Obviously that causes the OnCalculate() to run once. Then the indicators which need a tick to update are being refreshed.

Is it somehow possible to force a tick (=> execute the OnCalculate()) by programming?

Thanks! 

Trololo Tromberino
Trololo Tromberino  

I don´t think this is working on weekend....depending which broker you are using. Normally my broker tells me that i have to create a pending order.

Ticks are created by getting buy and sell orders in the real market. When you are trading OTC-things like CFD´s or so, this is not possible.

whroeder1
whroeder1  
The indicators have already updated from the last tick. There is no new data, so there is no need for an update.
mar
mar  

An example:

I draw a horizontal line on the chart and name it "TEST". If I do that in a market with incoming ticks that example will work fine. But if I draw it on the weekend, nothing happens.

I know the solution would be to use the CHARTEVENT_OBJECT_CREATE here but my question is if it possible to execute the OnCalculate somehow with no incoming ticks?

int OnCalculate(const int rates_total,
                const int prev_calculated,
                const datetime &time[],
                const double &open[],
                const double &high[],
                const double &low[],
                const double &close[],
                const long &tick_volume[],
                const long &volume[],
                const int &spread[])
  {
//---
   if (ObjectFind(0, "TEST")==0) {
      Alert(DoubleToString(ObjectGetDouble(0, "TEST", OBJPROP_PRICE1), Digits));
   }
//--- return value of prev_calculated for next call
   return(rates_total);
  }
honest_knave
honest_knave  

There are a few ways.

You can play with timers to call functions (albeit you'll struggle to call OnCalculate directly).

Or you can push a tick (using a button or again using the timer):

#property strict
#property indicator_chart_window
#include <WinUser32.mqh>

#import "user32.dll"
   int RegisterWindowMessageW(string lpString);
   int PostMessageW(int hWnd,int Msg,int wParam,int lParam);
#import

int OnInit()
  {
   EventSetTimer(1);
   return(INIT_SUCCEEDED);
  }

void OnDeinit(const int reason)
  {
   EventKillTimer();
  }

void OnTimer()
  {
   UpdateChartWindow();
  }

int OnCalculate(const int rates_total,const int prev_calculated,const datetime &time[],
                const double &open[],const double &high[],const double &low[],
                const double &close[],const long &tick_volume[],const long &volume[],const int &spread[]) 
  {
   return(rates_total);
  }

int msg = 0;
void UpdateChartWindow()
  {
   static int hwnd = 0;
   if(hwnd==0)           { hwnd = WindowHandle(Symbol(),ChartPeriod()); }
   if(msg ==0)           { msg  = RegisterWindowMessageW("MetaTrader4_Internal_Message"); }
   if(hwnd!=0 )          { if(PostMessageW(hwnd,WM_COMMAND,0x822c,0)==0){ hwnd = 0; } }
   if(hwnd!=0 && msg!=0) { PostMessageW(hwnd,msg,2,1); }
   return;
  }
mar
mar  
Awesome, thank you, honest_knave! I never used timer function because I never knew how and why to use them. But now I'll have a closer look.
To add comments, please log in or register