Download MetaTrader 5
To add comments, please log in or register
Find out how social trading can improve your profits
Shaun Overton
Shaun Overton 2015.12.18 20:40 

I'm trying to write a script which writes my trading history to a binary file. I tried to follow the example at https://docs.mql4.com/files/filewritestruct, but I keep getting the compile error "'tradeBuff' - parameter conversion not allowed OSR Trade History Recorder Binary.mq4 72 33"

I can't figure out what the compiler is unhappy. Do you know why this won't compile?

#property strict

struct trade 
{
   string symbol;
   int direction;
   double lots;
   datetime openTime;
   datetime closeTime;
   double sl;
   double tp;
};

void OnStart()
{  
   trade tradeBuff[];
   string symbols[];
   int directions[];
   double lots[];
   datetime openTimes[];
   datetime closeTimes[];

int size = OrdersHistoryTotal();
   ArrayResize(tradeBuff,size);
   ArrayResize(symbols,size);
   ArrayResize(directions,size);
   ArrayResize(lots,size);
   ArrayResize(openTimes,size);
   ArrayResize(closeTimes,size);

for(int i = size - 1; i >= 0; i--)
   {
      if( OrderSelect(i, SELECT_BY_POS, MODE_HISTORY) )
      {
         if(OrderType()==6)
            continue;

symbols[i] = OrderSymbol();
         directions[i] = OrderType();        
         lots[i] = OrderLots();
         openTimes[i] = OrderOpenTime();
         closeTimes[i] = OrderCloseTime();
      }
   }

{
      tradeBuff[i].symbol = symbols[i];
      tradeBuff[i].direction = directions[i];
      tradeBuff[i].lots = lots[i];
      tradeBuff[i].openTime = openTimes[i];
      tradeBuff[i].closeTime = closeTimes[i];
   }

string file = "tradeHistory.bin";

int handle = FileOpen(file,FILE_READ|FILE_WRITE|FILE_BIN|FILE_COMMON);

if( handle != INVALID_HANDLE )
   {
      {
         FileWriteStruct(handle,tradeBuff[i]);  // THIS IS WHERE THE COMPILE ERROR OCCURS
	// 'tradeBuff' - parameter conversion not allowed	OSR Trade History Recorder Binary.mq4	72	33
      }
   }   
   FileClose(handle);  
}
Martin
Martin 2015.12.22 19:20  
FileWriteStruct doesn't work with arrays that "contain strings, dynamic arrays or virtual functions.". To make it compile you need to remove string symbol; from trade struct.
whroeder1
whroeder1 2015.12.22 21:02  
MartinT: FileWriteStruct doesn't work with arrays that "contain strings, dynamic arrays or virtual functions.". To make it compile you need to remove string symbol; from trade struct.
Exactly. next time RTFM FileWriteStruct - MQL4 Documentation

struct_object

[in] Reference to the object of this structure. The structure should not contain strings, dynamic arrays or virtual functions.

Shaun Overton
Shaun Overton 2015.12.22 21:49  

Can I convert the string to bytes or another data type so that I don't lose the information?

WHRoeder, there's no reason to be rude. It was an honest oversight. I modeled my code on the documentation... I obviously read the manual. Snotty remarks like yours are the reason people don't ask questions when they need help. 

Ovo Cz
Ovo Cz 2015.12.22 21:56  
Use char[12] instead, 12 is max length of a symbol.
Demos Stogios
Demos Stogios 2015.12.22 22:58  
texasnomad:

Can I convert the string to bytes or another data type so that I don't lose the information?

WHRoeder, there's no reason to be rude. It was an honest oversight. I modeled my code on the documentation... I obviously read the manual. Snotty remarks like yours are the reason people don't ask questions when they need help. 

hello,

regarding RTFM i may say that i find it to be in the funny side - at least for me ; some years before (ahem) whenever i was facing that epxression, I got the impression that it was used in a friendly manner , coming from a positive stance and also humorous :) I could use it in a similar manner on my own - a rather geeky approach if you ask me but quite common to computer users , but again, not in a bad attitude ( i guess :) )

Ovo Cz
Ovo Cz 2015.12.23 12:57  
Demos:

hello,

regarding RTFM i may say that i find it to be in the funny side - at least for me ; some years before (ahem) whenever i was facing that epxression, I got the impression that it was used in a friendly manner , coming from a positive stance and also humorous :) I could use it in a similar manner on my own - a rather geeky approach if you ask me but quite common to computer users , but again, not in a bad attitude ( i guess :) )

Well, you may use it both ways, I think. A good advice and expressing contempt.

Anyway, I still have a bug report pending at Service Desk since 2014.08.28 - the third parameter always gets trimmed to the sizeof of declared structure. I.e. it invalidates structure inheritance, and actually the parameter becomes very useless.

Shaun Overton
Shaun Overton 2015.12.28 16:58  
Ovo:
Use char[12] instead, 12 is max length of a symbol.
Thanks!
/
To add comments, please log in or register