ICustom always returning EMPTY_VALUE

Hi all,

My name is Harry.

I am trying to use attached linear regression slope indicator in my EA, but I'm having trouble retrieving the values of the indicator in my EA.

It  is returning always EMPTY_VALUE.

I have to use this indicator with MT4, so I have compiled the indicator in MT4 and seems to draw fine. (attached in a chart, as well as in the strategy tester)

The problem that I have is when I try to retrieve values to process in my EA, I get always EMPTY_VALUE.

That's how I 'm trying to retrieve:

double LRS1 = iCustom(NULL, RunningTF, "lrs", LRSPeriod, 0, 1); // linear regression slope

I need the previous bar value in my EA.

I do not have the same issue with other indicators  I call similarly. 

If anyone could help mde with this, I will be really obliged.

Greetings from Greece,

Harry

Files:
lrs.mq4  4 kb

//--- main cycle
   int i=prev_calculated-1;
   if(i<Per) i=Per;
   while(i<rates_total)
     {
      for(int j=1;j<=Per;j++)
        {
         if(Price==PRICE_CLOSE)     x[j]=Close[i-j];
         if(Price==PRICE_OPEN)      x[j]=Open[i-j];
         if(Price==PRICE_HIGH)      x[j]=High[i-j];
         if(Price==PRICE_LOW)       x[j]=Low[i-j];
         if(Price==PRICE_MEDIAN)    x[j]=(Low[i-j]+High[i-j])/2.;
         if(Price==PRICE_TYPICAL)   x[j]=(Low[i-j]+High[i-j]+Close[i-j])/3.;
         if(Price==PRICE_WEIGHTED)  x[j]=(Low[i-j]+High[i-j]+Close[i-j]+Open[i-j])/4.;
        }
      lrs[i]=LinRegrSlope(Per);
      i++;
     }

The indicator may work as expected for the first call, when prev_calculated is zero.

But after that i will be either Bars-1 or Bars-2, so as new bars are opened, no value is calculated for them

There indicator is wrongly coded, it uses future price and doesn't have a value for the last "LRSPeriod" bars. Completely useless.

GumRai:

The indicator may work as expected for the first call, when prev_calculated is zero.

But after that i will be either Bars-1 or Bars-2, so as new bars are opened, no value is calculated for them

Keith, Thanks for your comment. The strange thing is that the indicator draws apparently normally, both attached to a chart and in the strategy tester!!! Try it. It has to be something else...

angevoyageur:
There indicator is wrongly coded, it uses future price and doesn't have a value for the last "LRSPeriod" bars. Completely useless.
Alain, Thanks for your comment. But the indicator actually draws apparently normally. How can you explain that?

fufutos:
Alain, Thanks for your comment. But the indicator actually draws apparently normally. How can you explain that?

What is normal for you ?

• It always returns EMPTY_VALUE for index=1 as with default settings (Per=40), it doesn't draw a value for the last 40 candles. 

• More. It doesn't draw anything for the 40 last candles, as it uses future values:
      for(int j=1;j<=Per;j++)
        {
         ... // default setting is PRICE_MEDIAN
         if(Price==PRICE_MEDIAN)    x[j]=(Low[i-j]+High[i-j])/2.;
        }
      lrs[i]=LinRegrSlope(Per);

For candle i, it uses  Low/High of candle i-1 to i-40, these are future values.

• This indicator is coded in reverse. It updates the oldest value on each tick as reported by Gumrai.
  • As it's poorly coded (buffer not initialized) you can have illusion that it draws "normally".

I concur, there is no way that this indicator draws normally.

I am wondering if it is someone's attempt to convert an mq5 code to mq4?

This is confusing, why the use of capital letters?

int OnCalculate(const int rates_total,
                const int prev_calculated,
                const datetime &Time[],
                const double &Open[],
                const double &High[],
                const double &Low[],
                const double &Close[],
                const long &tick_volume[],
                const long &volume[],
                const int &spread[])
  {

GumRai:

I concur, there is no way that this indicator draws normally.

I am wondering if it is someone's attempt to convert an mq5 code to mq4?

This is confusing, why the use of capital letters?

Good catch. I came to the same conclusion but without finding a clue.

EDIT: It's not even an attempt to convert, only thing changed is extension .mq5 to .mq4. Original is here https://www.mql5.com/en/code/127

Reason: