Start testing from where the last trade was entered. See if it will place new orders from that start date.
You may be out of memory for logging the ticks from your broker.
Thank you very much Kengen.
I also tried using the date of the last operation opened as the first date for starting the testing. Sometimes it will test ok from that date, sometimes it will just open that one operation and no more, and I have also discovered that sometime I may want to start from a certain date of a certain year, and the testing will start a few years later. So not only it cuts the last dates of the testing history but it will also cut some of the begining randomly.
I may set an optimization test, after done I will select one of the results to test it individually, the results of tester and optimizer do not match and it must be is because of this, dates change.
Sometimes I will run the tester with an EA and it will work well, sometimes it will not, but, in this case if I change the expert it might work and do the full testing, then, when switching back to the previous EA it might also work perfectly well. The huge problem is that all this happens randomly so, not being able to anticipate what will happen it takes tons of work to see if the test was done well and if days of optimization were thrown to the garbage can. This is happening from a few months ago to this part.
I even formated the drive and reinstalled everything from zero, including OS.
It is extremely dissapointing and I thought it might be because me of using wine in linux, but my windows computers are doing the same stuff and I have been talking to other programmers I know and they are also experiencing this problem sometimes, so I guess my 16GB memory is enough to run a single metatrader and there has to be some metaquotes issue with the tester.
It seems the your configuration: Mt4 on Wine on Linux, that might be the problem.
I would suggest you to try a free month on a vps? E.g a dedicated Server at server4you with Windows?
Thank you gooly.
Yes, it could explain the problem if there weren't any more computers running linux that worked perfectly well until two or three months ago and if there weren't other computers, mine and from other friends, that work on windows 8.
It's so wierd, playing with the start and end date changes the testing (but not as declared, it will happily decide, on it's own, when to start and when to end).
If I truely knew that linux was the problem, I would certainly change over to windows (even though I hate it), but I have seen that windows computers have the same random problem, sometimes it will happen changing the testing symbol, sometimes changing the dates, sometimes renaming the bots .... so many computers cannot have an issue.
May be its memory problem?
A fundamental thought: In 2008 and 2012 we've had two financial crisis and the markets did behave differently than now a days!
Think whether the results of theses years still matter today!
I also thought about that. I used to work last year with a computer with only 2 GB memory, it could handle the full history of EURUSD, yes, up to 1970. Now my five computers have 16GB each, and my friend's from 4GB to 16GB.
And you are right, maybe the results of those years and not meaningful today, I do not know for sure, but that is not the big problem, the big problem is that now that I know that this problem exists, I can not trust any result the tester gives me until I look, operation by operation, if it started when it was supposed to, if it stopped when it was supposed to, and there might also be more problems that I have not seen yet, like to have missing operations in the middle.
Thank you for helping :-)
Just in case it might help somebody else:
My friends have found out that there is a problem with the tick generation. If it is that, this is all explained, if suddenly there are no ticks generated, the tester will think there there is no more history and it will stop. I checked out the dates in which it stops to see if there might be broken data in the symbols history, but it is not broken, all the lines are there (at least where the tester stops, maybe it's broken on some other date, but there are millions of lines to check).
Also, if the problem is this I guess there is no walkaround until metaquotes decides that this is an important issue to solve, or maybe some other platform takes advantage of the situation and gets the leading position of metatrader while they sleep.