Download MetaTrader 5
To add comments, please log in or register
Added support for the Spanish language. Come and check it out!
Ravish98
Ravish98 2014.03.11 12:18 

Hi and thanks for the help

I am relatively new to Forex, but am a software developer, so most EA concepts I grasp. I wrote a simple stochastic EA which I am now back testing. A few points:

• I coded a check into the start() function to ensure the EA only opens/closes trades once per bar. I did this because I read that when a EA runs on a live chart the processing mode is always "every tick", and I needed max one trade opened per bar.
if (Bars == ThisBarTrade ) {
   return(0);
}

ThisBarTrade = Bars;
  • Consequently I am now backtesting the EA in "Every Tick" mode, to simulate a live environment. Results are as expected: trades are only opened or closed every hour on the hour on a 1H chart. I get a good return from the EA, curve-fitting notwithstanding (I'll address that when I get to the walk-forward optimization).
  • However when I run the backtest in "Open prices only" in order to speed up the testing, I get very bad results. In fact, no combination of parameters yields a positive return. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but looking at the Results tab on an individual test (open prices only), trades are now all happening at 1 minute before the hour, i.e, 09:59 instead of at the bar opening time of 10:00.
So my question is this: If the EA is coded to only trade once per bar, why is there a material difference between running backtest in tick mode or open price mode?
Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2014.03.12 08:24  

Welcome to mql4.com forum,

Your way to check for once per bar isn't reliable, you have to use Time/iTime. See what has been discussed in the past.

About your results, are you sure the only difference between your tests is Every tick/Open price ?

Ravish98
Ravish98 2014.03.12 09:53  

Hi angevoyageur, thanks for the reply.

I'll make the Time adjustment as you suggest.

As for the results, yes that is the only change. I run the test in Tick mode, get a good result, change the mode to open prices, and get all losses.

Having done some more digging since I posted this question, one cause for this springs to mind. Is it possible that in Open Prices mode, my stops are not being hit? The EA opens trades with a tight SL, and also manually closes trades when certain conditions are met, irrespective of profit/loss.

Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2014.03.12 11:32  
Ravish98:

Hi angevoyageur, thanks for the reply.

I'll make the Time adjustment as you suggest.

As for the results, yes that is the only change. I run the test in Tick mode, get a good result, change the mode to open prices, and get all losses.

Having done some more digging since I posted this question, one cause for this springs to mind. Is it possible that in Open Prices mode, my stops are not being hit? The EA opens trades with a tight SL, and also manually closes trades when certain conditions are met, irrespective of profit/loss.

Maybe, difficult to say without seeing the code.
/
To add comments, please log in or register