when is an EX4 not an Expert?

Good afternoon,

I've down loaded the new version 600 trader, and i've copied an EA across to it, opened it in the new editor, made the changes it has requested, compiled it, and finally got it into the new Trader.

When I try to run it, or drag it into the trading window, it, says that "is not expert and cannot be executed".

I am really hoping i've missed something here, because this is a frustrating mess of a new system.

So after its compiled,,, what should I be doing next?

Grahamandrews:

Good afternoon,

I've down loaded the new version 600 trader, and i've copied an EA across to it, opened it in the new editor, made the changes it has requested, compiled it, and finally got it into the new Trader.

When I try to run it, or drag it into the trading window, it, says that "is not expert and cannot be executed".

I am really hoping i've missed something here, because this is a frustrating mess of a new system.

So after its compiled,,, what should I be doing next?

Was the .mq4 file in a folder names experts when you compiled it ?

yes, its got the .mq4 and the EX4 in the same folder,, Ive just double checked.

yes in the experts folder

Grahamandrews:
yes in the experts folder
Where was the .mq4 file stored in when you opened it in MetaEditor ? if it wasn't in a folder called experts it seems that this can cause a problem, I had a problem with a script that was a script but MT4 insisted it wasn't. I then created a folder called scripts copied my .mq4 file to that folder, opened it in ME and compiled it, then MT4 would happily run it as a script. If this doesn't help you then contact the Service Desk

My issue with a script: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/148851/page30#901035 & https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/148851/page31#901114 & https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/148851/page33#901387

Good evening, I spent the weekend, and today re-writing the EA, testing and trialing it along the way. Tonight I removed it from the trial account to look at another ea. I then tried to re-install the original ea that Ive been re-writing, and it said again, is not expert and cannot be executed.

The folder has the mql4 and the ex4. its the experts folder.

Ive shut down the trader, and compiler, reloaded, re-booted the computer, turned off all live client accounts, and no luck.

ABSOLUTELY a mystery.

Grahamandrews:

Good evening, I spent the weekend, and today re-writing the EA, testing and trialing it along the way. Tonight I removed it from the trial account to look at another ea. I then tried to re-install the original ea that Ive been re-writing, and it said again, is not expert and cannot be executed.

The folder has the mql4 and the ex4. its the experts folder.

Ive shut down the trader, and compiler, reloaded, re-booted the computer, turned off all live client accounts, and no luck.

ABSOLUTELY a mystery.

Does your EA have . . .

#property show_inputs

. . . in it ? if it does comment it out and recompile.

unfortunately,, no,

Grahamandrews:
unfortunately,, no,
Sorry, I'm out of ideas, please contact the Service Desk give them a copy of your code and as much information as possible about this issue.

Hi, I resolved it by re writing the code, downloading the 610 version, and re-booting the computer after install,, The old version worked well, the new version works better. Well I guess it was time to get better at writing code. Job well done,, it looks like the future will be great, and worth the effort,, thanks for your help,

Regards

Graham

Grahamandrews:

Hi, I resolved it by re writing the code, downloading the 610 version, and re-booting the computer after install,, The old version worked well, the new version works better. Well I guess it was time to get better at writing code. Job well done,, it looks like the future will be great, and worth the effort,, thanks for your help,

Regards

Graham

Reason: