New programmer.

Hi. Im Apex, and I want to learn how to program my methods.. Sorry if my questions sound noobish, but Id appreciate some help.

I have a few questions..

1) Any tips on becomming a good programmer? I learnt C++ in my own time a few years back, but I havent mastered it, I also learnt VB.NET in school. Are there any tricks to learn fast? Maybe look at codes perhaps?

2) Should I learn MQL4 or MQL5?

3) When I look at source code, it looks a bit daunting.. Although, I want to develop signals (not actual trades, but only alerts) for methods I've spent 3 years working on.. It would save me a ton of time. I was wondering, is it an indicator I want to make, or an EA?

Im happy to clarify anything, and I want to learn this valuable skill.
Thank you

Apex.

:)

ApexPredator:

Hi. Im Apex, and I want to learn how to program my methods.. Sorry if my questions sound noobish, but Id appreciate some help.

Read the Book and the Documentation

Indicators cannot place trades so if you want to trade you need to code an EA or Script.

mql4 vs mql5

ApexPredator: I learnt C++ in my own time a few years back, but I havent mastered it, I

Mt4 is based on subset of C, so if you learned the basics of C++ (superset of C) the basic mt4 language will be easy. Just learn what isn't there and Forex trading. Mt5 is closer to C++, so I'd recommend mt4.

Okay, Ill read through the documentation, thanks for the replies.
WHR, cheers, Ill stick with MT4 in that case.

Im working on making my pop up even better..

Im building an alert with sound and pop ups working great.

However, I trade several pairs, and I have 1 pop up for all the pairs.

What Im trying to figure out is, how can I have a seperate pop up box for each pair? Just so that my pop ups arent cluttured into one box.

Thank you,

Apex.

ApexPredator:

I have a few questions..

1) Any tips on becomming a good programmer? I learnt C++ in my own time a few years back, but I havent mastered it, I also learnt VB.NET in school. Are there any tricks to learn fast? Maybe look at codes perhaps?

Especially if you are not an experienced programmer, I recommend you to focus on the max readability of your code, using descriptive names for variable and functions, identation, comments to describe everything.
Good code is easier to read and to understand and then easier to modify and improve... also months after you wrote it.

2) Should I learn MQL4 or MQL5?

MQL4 is simpler

3) When I look at source code, it looks a bit daunting.. Although, I want to develop signals (not actual trades, but only alerts) for methods I've spent 3 years working on.. It would save me a ton of time. I was wondering, is it an indicator I want to make, or an EA?

I was daunted too... split to the simplest steps and parts, have trust and patience and you will get used to it.

ApexPredator:

Okay, Ill read through the documentation, thanks for the replies.
WHR, cheers, Ill stick with MT4 in that case.

Im working on making my pop up even better..

Im building an alert with sound and pop ups working great.

However, I trade several pairs, and I have 1 pop up for all the pairs.

What Im trying to figure out is, how can I have a seperate pop up box for each pair? Just so that my pop ups arent cluttured into one box.

Thank you,

Apex.

Do we have to guess how you do your programming ??

it will be simple to do

if you want to know then show a part of the code you made with atleast the allertline you made inside your code

for becoming a good programmer i advice you to study also some simple programs and check what they do well and not well..

open a demo account and test several EA's together on that account....

and reading the topics here you will see the problems that often returns ( and also have been answered often.... )

Hello deVries!

Heres the code for the alert part.

<CODE REMOVED>

Its pretty basic, but it works well.. I was wondering how I would add a new pop up box for each pair I use the indicator on.

If you are able to help, thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Apex.

ApexPredator:

Hello deVries!

Heres the code for the alert part.

<CODE REMOVED>

I removed your code . . . .

Please edit your post above and re-insert your code using the SRC button . . . please use the SRC button to post code: How to use the SRC button.

To edit your post . . .

Reason: