How long can a tick be? - page 2

ubzen:
Its fine. Wow thats allot of ticks without volume change. What do you think causes it?

I do not know the reason. I may guess, but I did not perform any research, I am just fixing my part of code according to what I observe. It is not the only fix I have to apply to the MQL :)

Ovo: I do not know the reason. I may guess, but I did not perform any research, I am just fixing my part of code according to what I observe. It is not the only fix I have to apply to the MQL :)
Its fine. No need to guess. I'll see if i can duplicate it ... probably not anytime soon. Thanks.

Ovo:

The new bar never starts without a tick.

ubzen

(Simple Answer) A tick is a change in Bid or Ask.

So if there is a new bar, and the bid/ask price has not changed, it counts as a tick.?

pontuso:

So if there is a new bar, and the bid/ask price has not changed, it counts as a tick.?

No, there is no new Bar until the first tick for the Bar arrives . . . it is cause and effect, the cause is the tick the effect is the Bar.

Look at some M1 charts for some lesser traded Symbols at quiet times of the day, for example midnight GMT, there will be missing M1 bars because there have not been any ticks for over 60 seconds . . .

pontuso:So if there is a new bar, and the bid/ask price has not changed, it counts as a tick.?

Ticks can get confusing thats why I give you the simple version. Read this: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/109552.

Tick is one of those things that you'll have to test and define for yourself.

Reason: