how to restrict dates shown in chart

Is there a way to restrict the dates loaded into a chart? For example, if I only want to use price data from 02 Jan 2010 to 30 Apr 2010, how would I do that?

only with an offline generator. Just ignore what you don't want to use.

WHRoeder:
only with an offline generator. Just ignore what you don't want to use.

That sounds depressing. I don't want all that data loaded at once. I just want to work with a specific set of data. Not doing so would affect back/forward testing.

In NinjaTrader I can select a data series and a date range; other trading platforms have a similar feature. MT4 has nothing like that? 

I suppose I could remove existing price data for a symbol and then just import the date range I want.

What do you mean by offline generator? 

rwbta:

That sounds depressing. I don't want all that data loaded at once. I just want to work with a specific set of data. Not doing so would affect back/forward testing.

No it doesn't, in the Strategy Tester you select the date range you want to test.

rwbta:

I suppose I could remove existing price data for a symbol and then just import the date range I want.

What do you mean by offline generator? 

1. Backtesting - set the date. Forward testing, max bars on chart
  2. always possibility
  3. Search Renko, Constant Range Bars, Equi-volume (tick) charts.

WHRoeder:
  1. Backtesting - set the date. Forward testing, max bars on chart
  2. always possibility
  3. Search Renko, Constant Range Bars, Equi-volume (tick) charts.
Thanks for the info. Don't I still have to scroll back thru years of data to see the dates I'm interested in? I do want to see the chart during those dates. That gets annoying pretty quick when working with 15min or shorter time intervals.

Press enter and type in your date yyyy.mm.dd no scrolling required

Hi,

i have this problem too, what about creating a session template? in index futures maybe you want to trade in a time range window (8:00 to 20:00 for example), is it posible? if not, this affect the calculation of indicators because there are bars in the calculation that shouldn't be (just bars between 8:00 to 22:00). is there a solution?

Regards. 

WHRoeder:

Press enter and type in your date yyyy.mm.dd no scrolling required

That's a clever trick. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work very well. I also tried setting both Max bars in history and Max bars in chart but it still doesn't go to the desired date. Even when there are fewer data points, it still didn't go directly to the chosen date 2010.04.30. It only jumped from 2010.03.08 to 2010.04.11.

coiler:

Hi,

i have this problem too, what about creating a session template? in index futures maybe you want to trade in a time range window (8:00 to 20:00 for example), is it posible? if not, this affect the calculation of indicators because there are bars in the calculation that shouldn't be (just bars between 8:00 to 22:00). is there a solution?

Regards. 

Please could you give some idea? or it can't be done.
Reason: