Best practices for Ask and Bid

What is the best way to handle the difference between Ask and Bid. When using OrderSend I use Ask to buy and Bid to sell. But when setting take-profit and stop-loss should I also consider Bid and Ask depending upon whether I'm buying or selling. The chart only displays the Bid price so sometimes my stop-loss and take-profit don't line up with a chart where expect them to. I assume when it comes to something like a moving average it's figured on the Bid price rather than the Ask -- correct?

So should I use the Ask price for OrderSend and the Bid price for all other calculations -- MA, stop loss, etc.? 

MisterDog:

What is the best way to handle the difference between Ask and Bid. When using OrderSend I use Ask to buy and Bid to sell. But when setting take-profit and stop-loss should I also consider Bid and Ask depending upon whether I'm buying or selling. The chart only displays the Bid price so sometimes my stop-loss and take-profit don't line up with a chart where expect them to. I assume when it comes to something like a moving average it's figured on the Bid price rather than the Ask -- correct?

So should I use the Ask price for OrderSend and the Bid price for all other calculations -- MA, stop loss, etc.? 

It depends on your Strategy . . .  the most important thing is that you understand what is going on so you are able to code your Strategy accordingly. 

MisterDog: So should I use the Ask price for OrderSend and the Bid price for all other calculations -- MA, stop loss, etc.? 
I do all my calculations using the Bid. Then before the OrderSend/OrderModify, add the spread when required (open price on a buy, TP/SL on a sell.)

WHRoeder:
I do all my calculations using the Bid. Then before the OrderSend/OrderModify, add the spread when required (open price on a buy, TP/SL on a sell.)

This sounds like a simple and practical approach for most situations.
Reason: