Question: Turning MQ4 to EXE.

Hello everyone,

I have currently compiled an EA and have all the errors taken care of. When compiled I can use it on my chart via MT4 but I cannot send the file to another, and I do not have a exe.

How do I create and exe. file from this mq4?

I though compiling did it automatically.

Thank you for any input and as always,

Warmest regards,

ZRC

ZacharyRC:

Hello everyone,

I have currently compiled an EA and have all the errors taken care of. When compiled I can use it on my chart via MT4 but I cannot send the file to another, and I do not have a exe.

Not .EXE  but .EX4

RaptorUK:
Not .EXE  but .EX4

Thank you for the reply RaptorUK.

I apologize for the mix up.

In the MQ4l site, I have not read anything that would make the file .EX4 besides a compiler, yet it does not do so.

ZacharyRC:

Hello everyone,

Warmest regards,

ZRC

Where are you looking for the ex4 file?

If you have MT4 installed in program files on Windows7 / Vista, it is probably an UAC issue and the ex4 file is redirected to:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\INSTALLDIR\experts 

Dont install MT4 in program files on Windows7 / Vista. 

1. Don't install in \program files* on Vista/Win7
  2. The .ex4 IS the compiled file. There is NO exe. The terminal runs the .ex4
  3. Make sure your version (the one you compile on) is equal or OLDer version than where you are going to run it.

I assumed computer operating individuals understood a concept of "file extension". If a file .mq4 is changed to .exe, the file then becomes an executable file. No matter, it's probable this concept is comprehended by now. There's a way to adjust file extensions quickly if appropriate OS is used. If post is questioned, I'll respond. If not, I won't. Files are nothing more than extensions. If an extension is changed, the file also changes.

Thank you

ZacharyRC:

Hello everyone,

Warmest regards,

ZRC

If it's compiled then you aleady have the ex4 version.

If you see the EA in the navigator window then you have the ex4 version.

Search your c: drive for YOUR_EA_NAME.ex4 and you will find it.

WhooDoo22:

I assumed computer operating individuals understood a concept of "file extension". If a file .mq4 is changed to .exe, the file then becomes an executable file. No matter, it's probable this concept is comprehended by now. There's a way to adjust file extensions quickly if appropriate OS is used. If post is questioned, I'll respond. If not, I won't. Files are nothing more than extensions. If an extension is changed, the file also changes.

If I change a .txt  file to an .exe the file doesn't become executable.  The file contents do not change,  it is still a txt file.

RaptorUK:
If I change a .txt  file to an .exe the file doesn't become executable.  The file contents do not change,  it is still a txt file.

If I change a .txt to a .exe , the file DOES become an executable file regardless of content. I didn't say the file would operate as a .exe did I? ;) Apologies, I do wish to clarify that particular point presently.

Thank you

WhooDoo22:
If I change a .txt to a .exe , the file DOES become an executable file regardless of content. I didn't say the file would operate as a .exe did I? ;) Apologies, I do wish to clarify that particular point presently.

No,  it does not become an executable.  It is still a text file,  it has text contents.  The file type is not determined by the extension,  it is indicated by the extension but not governed by it.

RaptorUK:
No,  it does not become an executable.  It is still a text file,  it has text contents.  The file type is not determined by the extension,  it is indicated by the extension but not governed by it.

You might believe a .exe isn't an executable because its contents can be read in .txt applications but the extension .exe still classifies the file as an executable.

Thank you

Reason: